Before I send my soundbar off for repair (Sony HTST9)

meep14

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Hey there, I'd like to make sure that my soundbar is actually not working, before I send it off for a lengthy and repair process.

The soundbar is brand new, but I discovered that only audio comes out of the subwoofer. I have ARC connected from soundbar to the ARC on the TV. I have my cable box's HDMI connected to the soundbar.

I've also paired my cellphone to the speakers and I'm still only getting sound from the sub-woofer. This, in particular, would suggest that the soundbar is not working and that it's not a human error issue with wiring?

Thanks!

Solution
Hello,

Some TV's don't fully support ARC. Have you tried a streaming app, if your TV supports it?

For troubleshooting, it would help if you told us your whole A/V setup, in a little more detail, such as what cables are being used and where. :)

Can't you RMA for a free replacement? I would hope so since you said that it's brand new.
Hello,

Some TV's don't fully support ARC. Have you tried a streaming app, if your TV supports it?

For troubleshooting, it would help if you told us your whole A/V setup, in a little more detail, such as what cables are being used and where. :)

Can't you RMA for a free replacement? I would hope so since you said that it's brand new.

Solution

meep14

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

The TV is a Samsung un55js8500. Everything is pretty recent, as I'm upgrading for the first time in over a decade. HDMI cables are being used. The sound bar is the hub, with an hdmi commenting the sound bar to the TV and the cable box connecting to input 1 on the sound bar. Please let me know if there's anything else I should provide!

Can't get an RMA, the rep said that they don't do RMA for this model, only repairs. =/

meep14

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

Thanks, will ask to speak with a supervisor. Very disappointed that my first Sony sound bar was a DOA.