Best 7.1 Gaming headset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raganark-1395617

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Hey guys

I just bought this new sound card which is a Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card. It supports 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 surround sound. I am a bit of a passionate gamer and like to have the best possible experience as I can (best graphics, best sound, best game play and entertainment). I'm not a big fan of speakers, but I do like headsets and I would love to buy a very nice one with great sound for gaming, music, movies, sound editing etc. What will allow me to hear from the footsteps of an enemy approaching from a fair distance away, to hear my friend texting on her phone on the other end of skype, the aliens in a galaxy far far away (lol). I know 7.1 in a headset is still unmatched to the real setup of speakers, but I think it would still be a much better experience than the average gaming headset. I need it to have a mic and feel acceptably comfortable. Price isn't really an issue but nothing more than $250 please. Will look into all reccomendations :) Thanks!

Solution

That headset is NOT TRUE 7.1, that is why its cheaper, its a 2.1 with technology that emulates full surround.
Nothing wrong with that, like I said, its a preference.

And yes, it can utilize the sound card, but it is preferred to connect directly to the sound card itself.

The Razer Tiamat costs a lot but is very it is VERY good! Among the best.

fainfox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
I've had a Logitech g35 headed for the past 7 years and have never been disappointed by it. It's a USB virtual 7.1 surround headset with a ten foot long braided cord. One of the earcups broke off after about 5 years but the bezel was wide enough to screw a metal plate to into it without damaging the wires and the headset is still usable. I've actually had the same bezel brake on three turtle beach sets that I used for my ps3 but was unable to repair those. Just a week ago the other eat up broke off and so I ordered a Tiamat 7.1 headset. I've played a few games, watched a few movies and listened to a bit of music on this headset for the past week and actually find myself using a pair of Samsung ear buds more often because they sound fuller and for some reason have a much clearer sound. The Tiamats in general sound hollow and the 2.2 setting seems to not use the bass drivers at all. I will be returning the Tiamats and attempt to fix the g35's again, by if I am unable to I will be trying the Corsair Vengeance H2100.

Bibbit

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

From what I've read elsewhere you have to tweak your equalizer settings for the Tiamats to work best. Have you done that?

fainfox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

It was the first thing that I did after plugging it in. Yesterday, though, I went back into the settings and tried EVERYTHING and found that the entire problem was caused by having "Speaker Fill" on.
It was one of those setting that I had considered to be essential in creating a good sounding environment so it never crossed my mind to turn it off, but doing so solved almost every problem I had with the headset and after a bit of tweaking I was pretty damn satisfied with how they sounded.
So I apologize for the last post, as it was a premature analysis of the headset and I will not be returning them.

ACmi

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
I have the tiamats, they are nice but VERY heavy. Using the Xonar D1 with them

comfort i say is 8/10
sound quality 10/10

But as you all know or hope know that NOT MANY games use 7.1. So in essence really only get 7.1 if your using it for things other than gaming. I would go with a decent 5.1 pair no more the $100

Status
Not open for further replies.