Best and Worst Laptop Brands 2016

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I've had great luck with Acer laptops but they were all above the $1200 price range. Never had a cheaper Acer.

jrgsr70

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

jrgsr70

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I build and repair computers and the Acers that I have worked on are the lower grades and they don't stand up as they should. But that's true with just any brand nowdays. Its all about the dollars and not the product.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Obakasama

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
Only ever had two laptops.

A Lenovo T430 which is going strong, though there was a minor issue with the lock which seems to have sorted itself out. I use it for light entertainment when elsewhere, but it is essentially a work laptop. Does the job without fuss and upgraded to Windows 10 with no issues. As such, it is the best to me.

The worst is a Sony Vaio, which was actually my first ever laptop, and lasted less than 24 hours. It just died. It was so bad it couldn't even be repaired apparently.

Interesting to see Dell rated so well. Might have to consider their laptops should I need a new one when the time comes.

ccsnky

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
We own a computer store in Northern Kentucky. We think that every brand hp, dell, ibm ect... has a low, mid, and high end systems. Anything that is low end is pretty much junk these days. We like high end business grade dell's. You can find great quality used ones for like 400 bucks. We also like windows 7 way better than windows 10.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I agree a 400 laptop from ANY OEM is going to be more risky and than a 1500 laptop from any OEM. That's why Apple stays away from the low price PC. That's why I say don't shop brands shop model's a $ 1500 Acer will most likely have less issues than a $ 400 Dell or Lenovo.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Sony is out of the pc business and sold the rights to the name Vaio. The company is called Vaio buthe is a separate entity from Sony now.

carol palmer

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Thanks and I knew that it is out of buisness. I just shared my exp about a particluar brand

Jason_157

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Being completely honest (and please note that this is my personal opinion), I think that Apple should not be first. Most people that game, or just pretty much have some experience with laptops will know that they are overpriced and overrated. Yea sure, they're the most popular laptop brand, but they definitely cannot beat the performance and (most of the time) looks of a gaming laptop from a brand like ASUS, MSI, Lenovo, Acer, Dell etc. in the same price range.

This is my personal favorite list (Mainly for the performance you get for price, not how well each laptop actually performs.):
1. Lenovo
2. ASUS
3. Dell
4. MSI

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well Sager is a boutique brand. Clevo is the designer and maker of the models and are branded to basically regional companies across the world. Eurocom and Prostar are other Clevo brands.

Pavel Horniak

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015

So Sager, Eurocom, Prostar are Clevo subsidiaryes?

TRENDING THREADS