Best and Worst Laptop Brands 2016

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dale_27

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016

Pavel Horniak

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015

Sager, Eurocom, Clevo and ProStar makes high-end pro gaming laptops, and portable desktops/workstations. Most of their laptops (if not all) have replacable graphic card, so if you fry one (as i on two laptops), you can simply throw it to trash, and buy new one, instead of buying new motherboard.

Some of their products have desktop versions of graphics cards, (not laptop "M" versions), or two laptops versions connected with SLI.
It means MAXIMUM gaming performance.

isaacw

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Surprised with the general consensus that dell make better computers than HP.
Totally agree.
I have a dell that's been going strong for 5 years now.
Recently bought a HP Envy, the left screen hinge broke within 6 months.
What a disappointment!

keithsplace

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
In order
Acer - have three from 2002 -2003 Still running, abet Linux distros, as XP or Win7 is unusable, and a late model runs perfect and upgrades easy.
IBM and Lenovo - only cause there Tanks for the most part
HP & Toshiba tied for second to last - for tech support and build quality
Asus - tech support sux absolute nightmares

Mystery95

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I have Dell and my brother has HP. My system has a better casing but his system has a light with the camera and more USB ports. So for me, both are good. it depends on your requirements.

flipshope

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
My main preference i will give to mac.Because it will not hang when we open more tabs to work in browser.But i faced in windows when i am open the browser new tabs then it will hang my laptop.Virus Problem dont have in mac.

Diane_38

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Diane_38

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I purchased an ASUS touch screen 15" laptop in April 2014, from Dick Smiths Belconnen. By middle May 2015 the touch screen was wobbling all over the place (had to disconnect it) then the letters r and s on the keyboard packed it in. Of course Asus would not support it because it was 4 weeks out of warranty. I hated the keyboard anyway, worst one Ive ever used. if these problems happen just out of warranty why do you think its reliable? Id never touch another one in my life. How did this brand rate so highly?

To repeat my post on the first page, the dirty little secret of the laptop industry is that almost no laptop vendor actually makes their laptops. They're made by ODMs - original design manufacturers. They're like OEMs, except they also design the product. The companies listed in the survey just hire an ODM, tell them the specs they want the laptop to have, and ok/reject what the ODM comes up with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers#Original_design_manufacturers_.28ODMs.29

Most of those companies use multiple ODMs. So there's very little orthogonality between laptop brand name and the qualities measured in the survey. A particular model HP may have more in common with a Dell or Mac than with another model HP. About the only thing the brand name tells you is how good the aftermarket support will be.

Within a brand, the general rule I've found is that you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap Asus, it'll be made by a cheap ODM and liable to break quickly. If you buy an expensive Asus, it'll be made by a much better ODM with good quality. So take the time to search for a particular laptop model, not a laptop brand.

sarahgad

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
younger sibling has been using Dell core i3 for the past 3 years now, i don't remember the exact model or specs will ask him what it is and then mention here. But he is satisfied so far, the only thing he changed over these years is the battery.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I don't think the difference is in the ODM's as the cheaper PC's use the cheaper parts. All the ODM's make both cheap and expensive laptops. Plus some of the models are designed by the OEM and manufactured by the ODM. Clevo is an ODM that basically makes gaming machines for OEM Sager. These type of OEM's are called boutique as the ODM designs and put the OEM's name on the laptops. Clevo also sales as barbones where you can add components you wish. The name Brand OEM's use ODM's like Quanta, and Compal which are the most popular ODM's. Apple and Dell use alot of the same ODMs and they both use multiple ODM for different models.

AronRaynott

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
i have used dell and samsung and i am currently using a hp. i think dell and hp are slightly better than samsung. but i think all these brands have a common problem. that is keypad malfunctioning. can anyone suggest a brand that has a better keypad?

boomsky

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
Based on what I have used lately, I would still prefer my DELL as the best and ACER laptop not really that worst but my least brand.

Julie_54

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
ODM - cheap usually wont last, by past experience, a non gaming laptop for 2017 should be about 900$ which is mid-high price range minus the dedicated graphics.

Dell E7450 is my pick as a IT technician for 10+ years, however best laptops that are still running strong are my Lenovo Pre T440. these just wont die. all new Lenovo not so great (ULV Processors) I would stay away.

J