Best Audiophile headphones for 100-200

SeparatedZebra

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Hello
I'm looking to purchase my first high quality of headphones for gaming (FPS) and music for PC and also for my phone. I don't want a microphone on it. my price range is around 100-200(no more) i dont have an amp or a dac
thanks for the help.

Solution
Headsets in general do not have the audio quality of a set of dedicated 'audiophile' headphones. And just as a side point, most don't even know what audiophile really means. I didn't until I actually spent a few weeks reading about it. I still don't. Anyway, if you want a set of headphones for gaming AND music, don't buy a headset. There are a multitude of very good headphones for $200, especially if you go used, that you can add a microphone to if you want to voice chat. They may not come with any software or additional hardware like the Astro A40's, but they'll sound clearer for a lot less money. They just won't look as posh and fancy. Audio Technica, AKG, Sony, Philips, Sennheiser, they all offer excellent 'phones at a variety of...
If you want high end, as I said - pick from at least Corsair or even go to Sennheiser and Turtle Beach. A separate microphone isn't any good for gaming. I'd get a headset with a microphone built in.
You take a pick and let us know your choice. Make sure you've done your homework and checked your choice on forums and reviews.

SeparatedZebra

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I have blue yeti microphone so I wanted to get some high end cans. My friend told me about audio technica AD700x. But I'm new to the high level audio so I wasn't sure if there are any other that are worth looking up.

lukass1984

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
It would be great to know as I am hunting for a descent pair myself. A lot of ppl recommend Sennheiser hd558 / hd559. Ive read somewhere that Ad700 bass can be a bit overpowering but I dunno.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Don't go with anything with "gaming" in it, it will not sound as good as their audiophile competitors.
I can however recommend a few options:

SRH 440's with 840 earpads.
Audio Technica ATH-M50's / M50X
Sennheiser 558's.

beats by dre.

lol jk

But these are all great choices, so see whatever fits your music/listening taste, and go with it.
The Beyerdynamic DT 770's listed above are also a great fit.

AngryGoldfish

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Headsets in general do not have the audio quality of a set of dedicated 'audiophile' headphones. And just as a side point, most don't even know what audiophile really means. I didn't until I actually spent a few weeks reading about it. I still don't. Anyway, if you want a set of headphones for gaming AND music, don't buy a headset. There are a multitude of very good headphones for $200, especially if you go used, that you can add a microphone to if you want to voice chat. They may not come with any software or additional hardware like the Astro A40's, but they'll sound clearer for a lot less money. They just won't look as posh and fancy. Audio Technica, AKG, Sony, Philips, Sennheiser, they all offer excellent 'phones at a variety of price points.

Also, I disagree about headset microphones sounding superior to external microphones. The V-Moda Boom Pro is excellent for $30-ish, as is the ModMic. They can be attached to almost any pair of headphones and will sound clearer than most headset microphones, with the exception of a few. Youtube sound clips of both the microphones I suggested and you'll see what I mean.

Solution