Best Buy Charging to Install PS3 Firmware Update

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Yep. Just like the scam of creating a 'restore' disc for laptops and PC customers for $100 bucks. Yet you can do it for free. As many times as you want as part of Windows Vista/7.In fact we had a guy who did that one time did that on a laptop he bought from Best Buy and they didn't even create the restore disks. We had to do it.If they didn't have the best movie selection where I live, I would boycott them alltogether.[/citation]

my brother had all his kids baby pictures on his p/c and i didn't know he had anything valueable on there when his wife asked me to fix his computer. i did ask if they had anything important on there before i did a system restore and ended up having to do a full format because vista is chit despite my best efforts to back up all files i could find onto dvd+r.

if best buy could have saved them i'm pretty sure he'd consider it $100 well spent. i've had people save their resume, stock plan portfolio's, pictures, videos, schematics and blue prints saved in programs or the recycle bin or places on the drive you'd never even think to look and vista and 7 make it even harder to find then before xp, and i thought xp was bad. some people just don't care to know better then you and consider doing other fun things during the downtime more important then doing it themselves. do you change your own cars motor oil? i do, i don't like metal shavings being left in my motor yet jiffy lube and valvoline are doing just fine with $20-$30 oil change prices.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]And the car dealer tries to sell you rustproofing, and the real estate agent conveniently forgets to tell you about the mold damage. Scams are rife in every industry. Nothing to see here. Move along.[/citation]

Rustproofing is very valuable here in Michigan during the winter with all of the damn salt/brine water on the roads. I have first-hand experience the difference between my cars having rustproofing applied before winter. Of course, the other way is just to go to the car wash every week (including getting a bottom blast) for about $8-10 a visit, but for $60 rustproofing that will easily last the winter does actually save you a bit of money and time, letting you go to the car wash every 2 weeks or so instead.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]because vista is chit despite my best efforts to back up all files i could find onto dvd+r[/citation]

You must not have tried very hard, I've never had a problem finding the files someone needs to have backed up before formatting their hard drive, be it with Win 7, Vista, XP, etc. At least with Vista/7, backing up the Users folder which is usually located on the root drive, covers most everything.

Most users don't typically have more than 20GB or so within their program files directory as well, which is also quite easy to backup. It's also why I have 2 external 1TB hard drives, so I can pretty much backup the entirety of someone's hard drive and wait to delete it until they've verified they have all of their important files back.

Vista and 7, do not make it any harder to find someone's "precious" files, at least in my opinion.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Um. I think you guys are missing something here. The $329 price is for a bundled refurbished 120GB PS3. The sign is just there to show that it has the new firmware on it and can do those things. If you look to the right you can see the bundle sign that was cut off (likely on purpose) by the photographer.I'm not trying to defend Best Buy's tactics, here, but you need to at least pay attention to the facts. Those are refurbished 120GB PS3 slims, which as their website shows, are priced at $239. Then you bundle in a second Dual Shock controller ($60) and a $30 game and that's where the $329 price comes in.Sometimes I shake my head in shame when I see supposedly smart people posting blind ignorance on this site.[/citation]

It's interesting that you're the one who is not seeing it right. If the writer knows that the poster on the right is included then he would have included it to. otherwise, he is the one who is misguiding us; until then read what he said. "Best Buy will do it all for you as a $30 option on the consoles they have for sale." another one "A Best Buy in New York is offering customers a service which tacks an extra $30 onto the purchase price of a new 120GB PS3 system that has been upgraded to the latest firmware. According to Best Buy, the firmware update includes:"

Just incase you miss that too, here's the link below where is said NEW not REFURBISHED.

http://www.dailytech.com/Best+Buy+Charging+30+for+Free+PS3+Firmware+Update/article19783.htm

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I am wondering about the whole legality of this practice in the first place. Since Sony is the creator and owner of the firmware what Best Buy is doing is charging for both the firmware and the service to install such. I suppose you could attempt to twist it and say they are just charging for the installation of the firmware and not the firmware itself however in the end it still really boils down to them selling the Firmware.

I doubt Sony will be to pleased about this as they really are just charging for something that Sony intended to be free to their customers. In fact what Sony could always do to counter this and perhaps get some profit themselves is create firmware update disks that can be ordered directly from them for much cheaper.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sony is not going to do anything because they need bestbuy to sale thier product, I'm sure this section of thier agreement is burry on thier contract somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.