Best Buy Charging to Install PS3 Firmware Update

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamnc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I wonder how quickly the Best Buy stores will run out of PS3's they haven't "serviced" and force customers to buy a preopened product. Keep in mind they CANNOT force you to buy these units at full price because they no longer have the manufacturer seal.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]I work at a competitor to best buy that offers Tech services.Tech services are just like car services. If you don't know how to do it, or you don't want to do it, you may consider paying someone money to do it for you. There are people who pay for oil changes, or even changing of an air filter (if you can lift your hood to your car you can change an air filter).You're paying for the following:*Knowledge to do what needs to be done*The actual time it took to do the work*The renting of tools to do the job (in this case only the internet connection, and router and cables and such that provided such) Those tools have a cost. They need to be paid for. They work for several work orders, but eventually need to be replaced - it's a cost of offering the service.*The liability factor in case 1) something goes wrong or 2) your customer is dead-set on suing you simply because you had their property. (Of course, geek squad is exempt from this because they aren't honest. If they have a human error moment they'll claim it's a problem with the customer's unit and will charge them even more to make up for their mistake)Yes, when it's something we know how to do, it may look stupid... but there are a lot of people who simply don't know and don't want to know, and the only way they can get it done is to pay someone else to do it. Even if it's something as simple as tying your shoes... Hmmm. I can now see shoe stores offering a service to put your shoes on and tie them for you.$30 dollars for a service that you are in NO WAY obligated to buy doesn't sound bad. It's your money. Spend it how you want. If you don't need a service, don't buy it. If you want someone else to do it because you know nothing of computers (which is STILL very prevalent in this day and age) they offer the service.It's a chuckle for us knowledgeable people, but working in retail a lot of people lack an abundance of knowledge.... an abundance of anything in their head actually.[/citation]

There's a big difference in CAR SERVICE and in PC/Electronic Service. I simply hate people who tries to relate servicing a car to a computer or any electronics.

First reason: Servicing a car, more often than not, requires expensive tools. It also requires a GARAGE and not everyone has one. Most of the time it's more economical to have "professional" service your car if you dont have a garage or the proper tools.

Second reason: It is a hazard to have a novice service a car because, well, it needs to be on the ROAD with tons of other cars. Imagine someone who don't know how to change their brakes, but think they do, ends up killing someone because of improper repairs/service.

Another thing. BB knows that this is holiday season. Parents and Grandparents will be buying the PS3 as gift. Their salesman are trained to rake in service from the people who are buying this as gifts who are unaware that you can do this by simply plugging in the console into your router and it will automatically do it for you.

G

Seriously, I am going to a client on Thursday who needs me to show them how to use windows update adobe update and java update ,the latter two just being popups from system tray...Now I will be charging for this, a good amount to cover my time.

This is no different, my customer could figure it out but it is easier and safer in their eyes to pay e to do it, and I am not complaining, its a service I provide!

Necromas

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
They and other stores charge even more to do ridiculously simple tasks like downloading windows updates or providing installation services for something that you just have to plug in.

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Play(s) all Blu-ray movies and PS3 games
Eliminates bugs and glitches
System runs smoother
Improves connectivity to Facebook
Power save settings
Photo gallery and video editor
Adds PlayStation Plus
Improved system settings

Improves connectivity to Facebook.....so the ps3 will already have online access for this feature and be able to "update" for free!!

Strange marketing there!!

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
First off, if you don't know how to do research on what you are buying, then you should shop at Walmart or Target because you don't know your hand from your ass. Second, Best Buy has one of if not the best return policy and warranty service. If you can't afford a warranty then shop at your local pawn shop, at least they will sell you a product dirt cheap and then run you hand and ass over to Best Buy to complain about a firmware update or call Sony and get some help. JMO

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]Geek squad BLOWS!Frickin amateurs that blow away your hard drive and have you buy a external hard drive to back up your data.....The WORST place to take your computer.....They charge more than it cost for service on your vehicle....plus they will look at all your pictures and files during their break.you basically have a bunch of kids who work on your computer who probably cheated on their A+ exam and don't know crap about fixing your computer.I don't care who tries to defend this article, because if you read toms hardware and have to go to best buy for a PS3 firmware update or your PC....Then you are LAME cause you cant even fix your own Computer![/citation]

Here's the problem. They tend to only pay between $11 and $12 per hour. I've seen a few people on here saying they've been turned down due to over-qualification. Here's the thing, if you've gone through the trouble to get A+, MS cert, cisco cert, or a degree....and maybe throw in a little experience, you are certainly going to make more than $12/hr. So the only people that tend to apply are the smart yet super inexperienced, or the morons who can't work anywhere else. Another thing to look at is when people who actually are qualified apply, they assume that person will leave in 6 months to find something better. So it's not worth the time to hire and train. All this comes together in a perfect storm of inexperience and incompetence that forms the geek squad as we know it today. :/

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I always tell anyone I'll undercut Geek Squad for any computer work they want done. I like to pretend it's community service; djsting summed up why pretty nicely (not to mention the upselling they do).

The problem with this PS3 update thing is that Best Buy is, through omission, suggesting it's some super-special service that only a highly skilled technician can perform. That's shady, legal or not. If they positioned it as a convenience for impatient people or those who don't have broadband it would be fair, if overpriced.

It shouldn't be more than $10 tops- several systems can be updated at one time, so the whole "costs too much" argument doesn't hold water. Anyone buying a PS3 from Best Buy should get it for free as a thank you for choosing them over another store.

[citation][nom]deweycd[/nom]I don't think I could work at best buy because I would be too honest and sales would drop, I would sent them home with instructions on how to do it themselves, for free.[/citation]
If you were dedicated to building loyalty, in the long run you might be successful. I've talked to a lot of salespeople in my career, and the most successful ones are usually the ones that look at long-term customer relationships instead of quick sales. Problem is, big corporate stores like Best Buy don't give you that time- they want numbers, not happy customers that eventually bring numbers.

To be fair, I like going to my local Best Buy because I like to browse brick-and-mortar sometimes, and most of the staff is polite and eager to help (knowledgeable or not). No one hard-sells me anymore; I think they realize I'm not going to fall for it, heh.

G

I know a few people that feel uncomfortable doing upgrades. They even go to Best Buy for computer tune ups. So I guess some who can afford it, so what. But I think Best Buy probably does their best to convince customers to buy. Its as bad as extended warranties. Everybody is selling them! What a rip.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
People are getting rather upset over this for no reason. They still sell the basic system. If you don't want the upgraded choice, don't buy it. Tell your friends and family why you wouldn't buy it, but otherwise, it's an option for those who are willing to buy it. It's not like Best Buy hasn't been selling worthless things for decades anyway.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Sadly, I don't think Best Buy would be in business if they didn't do these gimmick services. Best buy is a consumer predator, this shows whose interest they have in mind. Seriously, $250 for a AMD 5770? True story... I went to BB with a buddy to get a notebook. He bought an Toshiba, turns out he paid for the newer model, got the older model, which he got DDR2, 1280x800, instead of DDR3, 1680x1050, and lost which would have been HDMI connectivity. The Employees are incompetent, the Geek squad are trained to convince you to buy a new product rather than fix the product. This place is made it when all the other computer companies didn't because they have the Best Con.

moeswow

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I dont get what the big uproar is. Look at it from a consumer point of view.... many people buy the PS3 for the bluray player feature not just games. IF a person does not have an internet connection. 35% of americans dont.... then this makes sense considering many bluray movies dont work without these updates. Yes the firmware is free but the labor that is entailed to do the firmware update is not hence the $30 price. Its a service for those who do not have an internet connection. Also the comment about the "optimization".... they dont sell that anymore, not since december of last year. They do sell a pc setup and restore which is 99 bucks which entails recovery disc creation, updates installed, and antivirus installation, total time usually takes to do this on your own roughly 4-5 hours depending on computer speed and manufacturers restore disc creation method. So $99 for 4-5 hours of work... seems about fair give the cost of labor and software..... Long story short these services are there for customers convenience and are optional and not obligatory as a previous member stated if you do not want said service u can ask for it to be removed or the price removed. either way a win for the customer.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]The sad thing is that they will hook a bunch of idiots with this scam.[/citation]

Yep. Just like the scam of creating a 'restore' disc for laptops and PC customers for $100 bucks. Yet you can do it for free. As many times as you want as part of Windows Vista/7.

In fact we had a guy who did that one time did that on a laptop he bought from Best Buy and they didn't even create the restore disks. We had to do it.

If they didn't have the best movie selection where I live, I would boycott them alltogether.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
obviously people on a budget, won't bother to pay for things that just take time to do, but other people who make well over $100 an hour, would rather be working for that hour, instead of spending an hour or two setting up something, that they can pay someone else to do for much less. or they would rather spend their time doing what they want instead of stuffing about with setting up their pc, and to them thats worth what they pay someone else to do the work for them. Its an option, I cant vouch for best buys selling techniques, but in theory theres a reason behind most "labor" charges. I'm being broad here, as other people are talking about things like setting up laptops before the customer gets them ect. obviously a firmware update for a ps3 doesn't take too long (unless your on really slow internet).

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Since they were soo nice & took the time to open the box up & update for you; Shouldn't you get a deeper discount because it is an open box? Otherwise they didn't actually do anything & just another scam to charge you more for it!

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]It would be nice if frys electronics gave best buy a run for their money....or GASP! newegg opened actual stores that you could walk into....heck...newegg sells HDMI cables for 6 bucks!!!!!!![/citation]

Ironic isn't it?
Although if NewEgg opened a brick/mortar place, the cost of staffing it and business overhead might drive their online store prices up to BBY prices.

G

This is nothing new, these console sku's have been on the books for a while. I mean Circuit City had them too and the funny thing is, there are people out there that will pay. Usually the people that buy into this don't have internet access and / or don't want to take responsibility for upgrading themselves. Heck some people will even pay the $100+ to do it in there own home.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]worst buy strkes again yay nieve consumers giving them gobs of money... just thike thier whole monster cables.. insulated hdmi cables are so important because of all the signal interference that cna disrupt a DIGITAL signal ... >_< idiots[/citation]

hahahaaaa i used to work there, that's where best buy makes their money is on the peripherals, 300% mark up and the b.s. about gold connectors is just that, the only true benefit is a latency issue that is so small no human eye will ever notice with out slow motion videography or whateverthef' it's called. matrix type b.s.

that just how it is at any store, the cds/dvds are the moneymakers, everything else is just to get you in the door and all peripherals are marked up 300%.

Status
Not open for further replies.