Best Buy Charging to Install PS3 Firmware Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

my bad, type search mm number 688

906884 Yes SANDY BRIDGE-HE-4 3192-1.1 AV8062705008382Q 0AB Q0AB FC-BGA10 03/05/2010

scipha deias

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
That is almost as bad as their $99 charge to "optimize" your new PC for you. Just bought my wife a new laptop that was "Optimized" although I had them deduct the $99, I told them I wouldn't pay for it, all they units they had in stock were already done that way! Long story short, got it home, booted it up, and yeah, what a big ripoff it would have been to pay for. Honestly. I ended up doing a complete reinstall of the OS myself to fix everything they had screwed up

You need to go back to your store and get your $99. back. I use to work at BBY. It's against the law for them to force you to buy or deny selling you a PC thats preoptimized at the regular retail price because their is no other of that particular sku on hand without optimization. They try to force it on you so that they can push numbers for Dept/Management and district. It a very shady practice but when in doubt always remember the better business bureau.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
What's new about this? This is just as bad as Best Buy telling my dad that he'll have to pay 75 bucks for someone to come to his house and show him how to plug in an RCA cable into his DVD Player.

They tried to make him buy $50 Monster RCA cable and warranty, which is 2x more than the DVD player he wanted to buy.

They do have a pretty good return policy though :).

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
best buy are a bunch of criminals......you can buy a nice big lcd tv from them for 800.00 and then as a special deal you can get an hdmi cable,a surge protector,and screen cleaner for only 150.00...what a bargin huh?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
If people are stupid enough to pay money for that, then that's their problem. I don't have a problem with that. If Sony started charging for updates, then that would be a problem and be newsworthy. This isn't a scam. It's a service for techno-illiterate people, like any other service that offers to fix your computer. You're not paying for the update. You're paying for the service of having someone else waste time doing the update for you. No different than if you took your car to get an oil change rather than doing it yourself.

If you want to talk about scams, take a look at Xbox Live, a service that should be free and that you HAVE to pay for in order to play multiplayer among other things. But you don't get anything for all that money you put into it that you shouldn't be getting for free anyways. Plus you still get ads in your dashboard and games. Like I've said before Xbox Live is like Steam. So imagine if Steam charged $50 to play multiplayer games.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]scipha deias[/nom]That is almost as bad as their $99 charge to "optimize" your new PC for you. Just bought my wife a new laptop that was "Optimized" although I had them deduct the $99, I told them I wouldn't pay for it, all they units they had in stock were already done that way! Long story short, got it home, booted it up, and yeah, what a big ripoff it would have been to pay for. Honestly. I ended up doing a complete reinstall of the OS myself to fix everything they had screwed upYou need to go back to your store and get your $99. back. I use to work at BBY. It's against the law for them to force you to buy or deny selling you a PC thats preoptimized at the regular retail price because their is no other of that particular sku on hand without optimization. They try to force it on you so that they can push numbers for Dept/Management and district. It a very shady practice but when in doubt always remember the better business bureau.[/citation]

Note I said I did have them deduct that $99 from the price. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I just found it strange they had all the laptops done that way already, at least in the model I bought. No telling how many of them they push off to people for the extra money.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This is one store that I hope gets looted when the economy implodes for good. They are such a scam even for the cheap junk. Almost every thing there is over priced through the stratosphere.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]scipha deias[/nom] It's against the law for them to force you to buy or deny selling you a PC thats preoptimized at the regular retail price because their is no other of that particular sku on hand without optimization.[/citation]That may be so, but very often the sale price is more than $99 below retail, so you end up paying retail instead of the adv. sale price. Is that legal?

scipha deias

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Note I said I did have them deduct that $99 from the price. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I just found it strange they had all the laptops done that way already, at least in the model I bought. No telling how many of them they push off to people for the extra money.

Glad to hear that. :) Again, this part has nothing to do with you but thats what I meant about their shady practices. That's called "inboarding". Best Buy stores are infamous for this. They were suppose to not charge you any part of the $99, just the core laptop at the retail price. One day BBY will get whats coming to them.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
It would be nice if frys electronics gave best buy a run for their money....

or GASP! newegg opened actual stores that you could walk into....

heck...newegg sells HDMI cables for 6 bucks!!!!!!!

G

As a employ of the Geek squad in the Canada I would like to point out that we have rules about client data and GS charges are on par with everyone else. Remember the Geek Squad in the Us sucks but the Canada one is trying to be better.
Also most normal people would rather pay for things like TV installs and computer setups then do it them selfs. It hurts my brain why people would spend $200-$400 on a laptop or desktop thats not worth $300, but they do all the time. People also go to places and get Virus on there comps and expect us to snap our fingers and fix it. then complain when we charge money for fixing there mistakes. It does pay my wages thou. Also this PS3 frimware upgrade is not sold at my GS.

G

Best Buy tried to stick me with a fee to make a restore DVD for a new laptop, which didn't include a disk in the box. Fortunately I declined the "service" and when I got home and fired it up, there was a utility right in the start menu to burn a restore disk, all you had to do was pop in a DVD-R and click. Shameless.

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
this is ridiculous, but whats more ridiculous is the fact that some people WILL pay for something like this. well played Best Buy, for even think about something like this.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Let’s be fair, Anyone who is ill inform is not stupid, dumb or idiot. No one get to where they are now if they didn’t know from start. This people rely on us to tell them what they don't know. So you'll call your parents or any member of your family that they are ***** if that's how you think of anybody else who's not informed properly.

I think this is just improper representation from Bestbuy. I would pay for their honesty and post something like this.

1 PS3 games will play unless console itself is damage.
2 You can’t play online if you don’t have internet.
3 Games won’t allow you to play online without an update.
4 If you have internet, PS3 will inform you with an updates unless notification is disabled.

WE WILL CHARGE $30 FOR ANYONE WHO IS NOT COMFORTABLE OR BUSY ENOUGH TO UPDATE THEIR SYSTEM. UPDATED SYSTEMS WILL PLAY NEWEST DVD/BLURAY MOVIES AND GAMES AVAILABLE UNLESS ANOTHER UPDATE IS NEEDED.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]scott_madison1[/nom]Agreed, I applied there once and was over qualified because i had the A+ certification...[/citation]

LOL, I did too. I have A+ and MCSE + 15 years experience. I was just looking for a part-time gig on weekends... They never called me.

mike2k

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I don't understand what the problem is with Best Buy charging for this. It is simply a service that they offer that the consumer (hopefully) has the ability to decide on for themselves. People shouldn't make purchases on things before first doing just a little bit of research on the product, especially a $300+ purchase. I know that personally, if I didn't have internet access and I purchased a PS3 and wanted to watch a Blu-Ray movie that needed a firmware update before it could play, I'd be wondering why that was something that wasn't offered to me at the time of purchase.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
The largest problem is those who are mal-informed, charging for a service that people are not fully aware on how it works isn't a crime. The miss leading that can occur is the problem. If the sales person does a proper job of explaining what is required to complete the firmware upgrade then everything is acceptable but the chaces of this happening is quite low. Likely the sales person will do their best to confuse the customer in order to get sales and bring up numbers. I don't think I could work at best buy because I would be too honest and sales would drop, I would sent them home with instructions on how to do it themselves, for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.