Best Buy Charging to Install PS3 Firmware Update

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
This is a service meant for those that either can't or don't want to update their firmware and don't have a "friend" to do it for them. For those people these services are worth the money, for us they appear to be a "scam". I've been amazed at how much people are willing to pay for things to be done for them relating to computers that seem so simple to me and would be quiet easy to learn but those people don't want to learn, they just "want it to work".

Why do you think Apple is so profitable?

scipha deias

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]That may be so, but very often the sale price is more than $99 below retail, so you end up paying retail instead of the adv. sale price. Is that legal?[/citation]

Its called "inboarding" when a retailers associate drops the price of a core product to off set the price of a service or service plan. So if a service plan is $99 and the retailer takes that price of the laptop and or any other products on that sale transaction to off set the $99, yes its inboarding and most retailers that care about their brand, if they caught a sales person/managers/supervisors engaged in this behavior they would be fired on the spot in order to prevent very bad press and possible lawsuits.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well BB has its uses. I mean sometimes (ok all the time) my mouse breaks and I don't really want to wait a week to get one through mail order. Also there is the odd gadget now and then that I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't seen it in person. So yeah I do go to BB and I do buy SOME stuff from them. But I certainly wouldn't pay Geek Squad to do anything. On the other hand, I ran a business for 5 years and have to confess that it is very difficult paying the overhead. The overhead on those giant BB stores must be insane. So they probably have to rip off the rubes now and then to keep solvent.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
The title is not good for the right targeted population...
"firmware upgrade" is completely a technical sentence, if you understand this title, you know how to do it yourself!!!

a person which don't understand this title doesn't understand what does this mean and will not pay for it.
They have to call it "configuration optimization" or "personal setup service", something less technical for the parents which know nothing about the technology and want to offer the PS3 to their kids.

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
i think this november adn christmas I should go set up out side advertiseing that i'll do it for 10 dollars and just use my USB drive.

Also i bet best buy is probally not even hooking it up online and geting the latest update. They probally are just using an update 2 or 3 rounds ago and as soon as these idiots get home and connect online it'll have a new update for them

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I work at a competitor to best buy that offers Tech services.

Tech services are just like car services. If you don't know how to do it, or you don't want to do it, you may consider paying someone money to do it for you. There are people who pay for oil changes, or even changing of an air filter (if you can lift your hood to your car you can change an air filter).

You're paying for the following:
*Knowledge to do what needs to be done
*The actual time it took to do the work
*The renting of tools to do the job (in this case only the internet connection, and router and cables and such that provided such) Those tools have a cost. They need to be paid for. They work for several work orders, but eventually need to be replaced - it's a cost of offering the service.
*The liability factor in case 1) something goes wrong or 2) your customer is dead-set on suing you simply because you had their property. (Of course, geek squad is exempt from this because they aren't honest. If they have a human error moment they'll claim it's a problem with the customer's unit and will charge them even more to make up for their mistake)

Yes, when it's something we know how to do, it may look stupid... but there are a lot of people who simply don't know and don't want to know, and the only way they can get it done is to pay someone else to do it. Even if it's something as simple as tying your shoes... Hmmm. I can now see shoe stores offering a service to put your shoes on and tie them for you.

$30 dollars for a service that you are in NO WAY obligated to buy doesn't sound bad. It's your money. Spend it how you want. If you don't need a service, don't buy it. If you want someone else to do it because you know nothing of computers (which is STILL very prevalent in this day and age) they offer the service.

It's a chuckle for us knowledgeable people, but working in retail a lot of people lack an abundance of knowledge.... an abundance of anything in their head actually.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Sony should sue them.
If it works i`ll start a bussiness selling free updates :))

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Used to be a Geek Squad agent.... yes they do practice this for the intention of increasing service attachment rate and revenue, and they have NO SHAME in doing it. One of the many reasons I left that place.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]scipha deias[/nom]Its called "inboarding" when a retailers associate drops the price of a core product to off set the price of a service or service plan. So if a service plan is $99 and the retailer takes that price of the laptop and or any other products on that sale transaction to off set the $99, yes its inboarding and most retailers that care about their brand, if they caught a sales person/managers/supervisors engaged in this behavior they would be fired on the spot in order to prevent very bad press and possible lawsuits.[/citation]

It's also called "bundle pricing" when you have a special price for an item plus another item or service. This is completely legal. Any business can set their own prices. It is not unethical or illegal to have bundle pricing. Ever have a buy 1 get 1 free sale? that's bundle pricing. If you make a requirement you qualify for special pricing. Same thing with services and product. Buy this product get this service free.

What IS unethical, although, not illegal, is for someone to use bundle pricing to try to sell a high margin service with low or no margin items and then discounting the low or no margin items so that the corporate tracking system sees high-margin service attached to the sale - so they get credit for doing something, but in reality they are giving things away for free to get their numbers artificially higher. It hurts a corporation, and in effect actually doesn't hurt the customer because they are not forced into buying anything, and if they do get something for free, it doesn't cost them anything extra.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I work at a competitor to best buy that offers Tech services.

Tech services are just like car services. If you don't know how to do it, or you don't want to do it, you may consider paying someone money to do it for you. There are people who pay for oil changes, or even changing of an air filter (if you can lift your hood to your car you can change an air filter).

You're paying for the following:
*Knowledge to do what needs to be done
*The actual time it took to do the work
*The renting of tools to do the job (in this case only the internet connection, and router and cables and such that provided such) Those tools have a cost. They need to be paid for. They work for several work orders, but eventually need to be replaced - it's a cost of offering the service.
*The liability factor in case 1) something goes wrong or 2) your customer is dead-set on suing you simply because you had their property. (Of course, geek squad is exempt from this because they aren't honest. If they have a human error moment they'll claim it's a problem with the customer's unit and will charge them even more to make up for their mistake)

Yes, when it's something we know how to do, it may look stupid... but there are a lot of people who simply don't know and don't want to know, and the only way they can get it done is to pay someone else to do it. Even if it's something as simple as tying your shoes... Hmmm. I can now see shoe stores offering a service to put your shoes on and tie them for you.

$30 dollars for a service that you are in NO WAY obligated to buy doesn't sound bad. It's your money. Spend it how you want. If you don't need a service, don't buy it. If you want someone else to do it because you know nothing of computers (which is STILL very prevalent in this day and age) they offer the service.

It's a chuckle for us knowledgeable people, but working in retail a lot of people lack an abundance of knowledge.... an abundance of anything in their head actually.

So what happens when the inevitable update happens again? Take it to Best Buy? A difference between this and taking your car in is that you ASK FOR THE SERVICE. You are not required to purchase a service that you did not request. They preinstall updates and "optimize" machines and because they expect that you don't know any better and that you'll just whip out the credit card. This just gives them an excuse not to sell the service and let the customer decide whether or not it is of value to them. The only thing BBY is concerned with is an attachment rate on a scorecard.

G

best buy has proven time and time again that they will do anything to make a quick buck. Most of them were probably upgraded wrong anyways and will have to be factory reset. Best buy and their dearest comrade squad are the worst thing to happen to computers since Rick Astley. They charged my grandma 200 dollars once to factory restore (hit f11) her laptop she bought from them the day before which was obviously under a warrenty that she overpayed for.

sinerge

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Yes there are those to stupid to know how to do something so simple, thus a market has been created for the service. BB should charge for this as it does take up their time.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
It'd be really nice if Best Buy would offer a service to charge your cell phone the first time when you buy it...

Cause that first charge is really difficult to figure out how to do. I mean, the adapter is different than my old phone!!

(*heavy sarcasm btw*)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Adds Playstation plus? No. You need to pay 50 bucks a year for Playstation plus. God I hate BestBuy, quit praying on stupid people.[/citation]

If you look closely at the image, and not just the article text, you'll note there's a disclaimer. :)

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I don't see what you guys have an issue with. I can't believe you guys think that a persons time is worthless. If someone came into my store and asked me to update the FW on their PS3, you bet your ass I would charge them. And $30 sounds about right. Any less than that, and it isn't worth my time. No one is forcing these people to buy the service. If they were forcing it, or charging for it without the customer knowing, that is a different story, and would be wrong. They are giving the customer a choice, and that is the best thing you can do for customer and your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.