Best Buy Refusing iPad 2 Sales on Purpose

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
The geek squad at BB is pathetic to say the least. Much of their support on the floor is just as bad. This is obviously for my area. I enjoy to go in to BB acting like I don't know anything about electronics to be told much bullshit for them to make a sale. Being told that Plasmas are no different than LCD [LED included], that I HAVE to have a warranty with a LCD[LED] TV, that a casual PC user would need 6-8GB of RAM, and that the "pre-optimized" PC is a must needed "add-in" (with added cost of course). Give me a break!

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I buy stuff from BBY all the time and never have issues.Plus I never believe something a fu@*%ng loser posts online about their bad experience.Besides it's always the people with problems who whine - never satisfied customers. Whiny little chickenshit bitches who lack the balls in real life to go talk to a manager in person about their issue. But they're so tough when posting online.[/citation]
You sound like a BB fangirl if I'm not mistaken...

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I used to work at Best Buy and Target. They all do this with HOT products if they will be featured in their Sunday ad. They did this with Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, iPhone, even Tickle Me Elmo. They do this so that when the advertisement comes out they are sure to have the item in stock.
On the other hand, back when the Wii was hot my store manager had us do something I thought was shady. When we received a shipment of like 30 Wiis he had me take one out of the back at a time and tell people it is our last one. This way the sale would go pretty much to the highest bidder. The customer would have to buy accessories and PSPs (protection service plans).

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I buy stuff from BBY all the time and never have issues.Plus I never believe something a fu@*%ng loser posts online about their bad experience.Besides it's always the people with problems who whine - never satisfied customers. Whiny little chickenshit bitches who lack the balls in real life to go talk to a manager in person about their issue. But they're so tough when posting online.[/citation]For someone as yourself making wild assumptions about issues that you have absolutely no knowledge of and as well as being a hypocrite about whining, you have no place to make comments like those. And with language like that it doesn't even matter because you have already proved to all of use you sir are worthless to society. You sir are the ignorant, ill-informed customer I was speaking of. I linked others to the Best Buy forums to make their own conclusions and read real customer stories of how they were cheated out of their hard earned money. FYI, I spent and entire Friday and Saturday taking down the chain of command at my local Best Buy, and escalated it to off-site officials who finally would work with me to resolve a simple issue.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Best Buy is the worst thing to ever happen to the electronics industry and the second worst is the fact that some people just don't know any better not to buy from such a dishonest and deceiving company.Want some proof? Go To: http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/ , these are the Best Buy forums full of non-stop horror stories that customers have had...Don't support bad business.[/citation]
You can find a hate forum on anything - Best Buy is not for everybody, but as a former employee there, and a customer (before, during and after my tenure there), I can tell you that as a retailer, they are no better or worse than any other electronics retailer, in fact, I can tell you that more often than not, you will have a good experience with them, but, and this is the most important element - if you walk in there like you're the sh*t, ya, they won't pay much attention to you - and from your post I can deduce that you're the kind that treats sales agents like they're 3rd class citizens, so you got the treatment that you probably deserved. Am I right?

G

Yeah, I used to work at BB, and they're no choirboys, but some of the customers we had to deal with shouldn't be allowed out of the house.
They want you to give merchandise and services away. If they don't buy an accidental service plan on something, just the standard one, and they drop their laptop down a flight of stairs they want you to replace it anyway and will curse, scream, spit, and question you parentage when you refuse to give in.
So read the horror stories. Some will be true. A great number of them however should be taken with a huge dose of salt.
People will behave in a store in ways that 30 years ago would have been considered inexcusable.

jaywed

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Best Buy is allowed to do w.e they want with the products they buy. So what if they want to hold them off from you, go buy it at another store then. Is it really that complicated? And if its true, its only hurting their revenue. Plus theyre doing you a favor and saving $700 on a overpriced ipod touch.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I use to work for best buy and its run by a bunch of clowns plain and simple. And the 15% restocking fee for returning a item is just retarded. About 5 years ago I got a hard drive as a Christmas present and I went to return it a few days after and they told me I had to pay a %15 restocking fee for an item that was a gift. And I was returning it because it was a IDE drive and my system could only use SATA drives. Since that day I have never stepped foot in a best buy again. And this store was in Windsor Ontario that this happened it. Im perfectly happy driving 2 min down the road now and going to Futureshop instead where they don't have a retarded 15% restocking fee.

And the only thing they did when I returned was walked like 25 feet and put it back on the shelf, seriously 15% fee for that, complete and utter morons.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]For someone as yourself making wild assumptions about issues that you have absolutely no knowledge of and as well as being a hypocrite about whining, you have no place to make comments like those. And with language like that it doesn't even matter because you have already proved to all of use you sir are worthless to society. You sir are the ignorant, ill-informed customer I was speaking of. I linked others to the Best Buy forums to make their own conclusions and read real customer stories of how they were cheated out of their hard earned money. FYI, I spent and entire Friday and Saturday taking down the chain of command at my local Best Buy, and escalated it to off-site officials who finally would work with me to resolve a simple issue.[/citation]

I worked in a call centre to put myself through university in the 90's. I witnessed first hand the shift in the methods customers used to deal with a company over customer service issues.

It used to be that if a local store didn't resolve your issue you had to call the head office. You talked to an actual person which carried certain criteria with it: you had to be reasonably civil, the other person could talk back to you to explain items or ask you questions.

Then the first shift came: e-mail. Now you could put your words down in a message and fire it off to the store, head office or wherever. Everyone knows that a person writing an e-mail would say things far worse then they would in person (my coment about not having the balls to speak to a person) because it's easy to vent and then click send. This is why so many people have also gotten into trouble with e-mail over the years.

I have personally seen several instances of this where I would talk to a customer and come to a reasonable conclusion with them. Then they turn around and send off a nasty e-mail which sounded like a different person wrote it - they had two personalities, their in-person one and their online one.

Then came the online forums. Now people could say just about anything they wanted and get up on their soapbox for all to hear. And, like they were with e-mail, they had a much more aggressive personality online than they would in person. It's easy to be tough behind a keyboard. Not so easy in person. Especially if you have a weak case - in an online forum you never hear the whole story and never hear the truth. Again I have witnessed this where the story posted was nothing like the conversation in the store.

Not only have I never had problems with BBY, I also have never had problems with any large retailer I buy products from. All companies want to give their customers good service and will work hard to resolve problems. It's just that there is always the asshole who is NEVER SATISFIED and seem to think they should get compensation far beyond what is normal. Just think of the lawsuits people file in the US all the time where they expect huge payouts for small problems. These are the same people who go online and whine about stuff.

If you actually believe these stories than you are as stupid as the people writing them.

G

You know what, Apple is not for everyone. If I happen to like the PlayBook better, I'm not going to look down my nose at others who don't. The consumer base is big enough for multiple players in the tablet market.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You can find a hate forum on anything - Best Buy is not for everybody, but as a former employee there, and a customer (before, during and after my tenure there), I can tell you that as a retailer, they are no better or worse than any other electronics retailer, in fact, I can tell you that more often than not, you will have a good experience with them, but, and this is the most important element - if you walk in there like you're the sh*t, ya, they won't pay much attention to you - and from your post I can deduce that you're the kind that treats sales agents like they're 3rd class citizens, so you got the treatment that you probably deserved. Am I right?[/citation] Sorry but you could not be further from the truth, I was the one that was being treated like the 3rd class citizen right from the start. Whats with people and their assumptions these days geez, I was nothing less than polite and courteous the WHOLE time I just wasn't going to be taken for a ride after spending that amount of time and money on the TV. I had a TV go bad on me with a 4yr SRP from BB, they couldn't fix it after 5months with a bad TV and 4 services calls to my home(Lemon Law). They tried to replace it with an 720p Insignia and refused to offer any other model, I had a 1080p TV. I was also made to speak with the cell phone department head(Not a TV guy) about the whole situation because I assume nobody else could be bothered at the time. By the way that is Best Buys own forum. One bad apple will ruin the bunch is as true today as it was in the past.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I worked in a call centre to put myself through university.....[/citation]I had to go through the process you explained but in my case no reasonable solution could be reached with the store employee's read my other reply above for more on the situation. Its wasn't until I contacted the head office that I was treated like a customer and with respect instead of like an annoyance to be rid of ASAP. I'll repeat this again I never was dishonest in anything I have said, I was respectful to everyone I spoke with and polite the whole time. I guess I got into a perfect storm at Best Buy and the experience has led me to a conclusion that I will not do business with them nor recommended others to. I do not lie, theres is no point, and you have at least learned a small part of my story without typing a novel about it. I don't do this to vent as stated in the last line of my first post, its to inform.

As for the story I never directly commented on it, nor stated I believed it. I was going on my own first hand knowledge of the retailer and my experience with them.

kuharski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
HAHA so many people giving negative to people defending Best Buy, I see how this forum is, totally biased. Even when the points are right.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Best buy is clown shoes. I know how big box stores work. I have worked in a few. First I am not shocked to read about this considering the general manager for the store is trying to make as much profit sharing as possible. I am guessing people pre ordered this and they want to make sure the stock is there for preorders . the preorders are sold already so the customer coming in to browse and may not buy one after all will have to be told they are out of them and should be getting a new batch in real soon. Also not to jump topic I worked for staples and was told lies about sales. I was told when I sold a laptop or desktop that If I didn't get an up sale the lost money.. The up sale was extended warranty and antivirus and ms office.This was just the general manager trying to push us to sell as much as possible to make there bonus bigger. Well from my experience of buying things I don't fall for that bullshit and I am sure a good bit of people don't either. So I was talking to my boss and said I sold a laptop but could not get an upsale she got all pissed saying we didn't make and money and the number for the week will be off.Well that pissed me off working for 8 hour. I told her she was full of shit and a liar. well I talked to the pr for staple and they said that was not true they make a profit on everything. So I told them what my store manager said and they said they will look into it. I don't work there after chewing the head off my boss for lieng to me.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
My friends were turned away at Best Buy Canada, because apparently Best Buy and Future Shop, the other chain owned by Best Buy had only 15 or so iPad2s of all types. Kinda hard to believe.

RedPhoenix

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
wow this is ridiculas
who cares, if ur a customer its not like u cant shop elsewhere!

and if there saving units for a promotion, so what? everyone does it.

their staff arnt knowleagable? im sure some of them are, besides its ur obligation as a consumer to get informed b4 u buy!
if im gonna shell out my hard earned cash im gonna look for reviews and check the specs and other consumers experience.

these companies probably dont even give the adecuate preparation so their emplyes know what their talking about. and their payed to sale, not do ur reseach for u!

i dont work for them, never did but i know people are as@@@, its not hard to be polite to another person who works, youll get better results, and the emplye is at fault, just ask for a amanger on the spot and keep ur composer, because even if ur right u lose credebility if u lose ur reason and cool.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Bad, bad Best Buy!..This is not news, just an other reason to talk about Apple products. Shame on you both(K. Pa. and Best Buy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS