Best Buy Refusing iPad 2 Sales on Purpose

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I find no purpose in Bestbuy when there is Microcenter. :D I find Microcenter people much more experienced than Bestbuy people. Its unfortunate that Microcenter is not as widespread as Bestbuy.

G

Last comment: not trying to offend the people who work or have worked at Bestbuy...

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Ridiculous story!
It's anti profit for the business!
Just keep a stock of the reserved items, and sell the pads as soon as you can!
Maximum profit!

And indeed, if it's not available there, I'll just go to another store where it is!

G

Having worked in multiple best buy stores across the country I can honestly say it all comes down to the store itself and how they treat consumers. There are some really shady stores out there, and then there are stores that really do care about the customer, as there are really shady customers and then customers that come in weekly just to say hey and are known by name. So yeah I can easily see the holding shit to be true, sadly stores like that give the good stores, and employees who enjoy their job even though it's not a glorified job as some would consider a bad name.

But I just can't fathom why someone would want an ipad2 (or for those bringing up the Wii holds). That crap sucks. Waste your money on something you might actually need instead of just another way to check your facebook or pretend you're working out when you're really just playing a video game

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I love how everyone even cares about this.

First off, Best Buy is only for idiots that can't take the 5 minutes to educate themselves about what they want to buy. I'm sorry but that's a big pet peeve of mine. If you can't learn about what you WANT, then you don't NEED it.

Second, Best Buy is, and always has been, a rip off; they aren't cheap. If you think they are, refer to point one.

Third, to all those complaining about bad customers/employees, yeah that happens. It happens more at stores frequented by those mentioned in points one and two.

On-line purchases from reputable vendors does away with point two, and of course self education does away with point one. Both of which combined simply negate point 3.

Do the math folks, and stop this bickering, it's that easy.

Oh and to all those who worked at any of these kinds of stores and defend them (walmart, CC, etc.,) you are most definitely of the lowest order of human beings on the morality scale, or just plain stupid. If it was just to make a buck through school, fine, just don't defend them under any circumstance. Step up a notch on the evolutionary scales, it'll make your life better.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I build PCs as a sideline, and I used to enjoy going into BB to stalk the computer aisles, waiting for some poor schmuck to get trapped by an over-zealous employee who would try to sell them way more than they needed for more money than they wanted to spend in the first place. The outright lies I've heard their employees spewing to their uninformed customers are sickening. But I managed to save a few people by stepping in and torpedoing the sale. Not for my own gain, because I never offered my services as an alternative; I just gave them the honest truth about what the BB troll was telling them, and counseled them to get what they needed, not what BB told them they needed. The hateful glare from the BB employee was always so heart-warming...

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tmax[/nom]They did the same thing with the wii.[/citation]
[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]I used to work at Best Buy and Target. They all do this with HOT products if they will be featured in their Sunday ad. They did this with Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, iPhone, even Tickle Me Elmo. They do this so that when the advertisement comes out they are sure to have the item in stock.[/citation]
I have had this experience with the PSP. In talking to an employee you could tell they had them in the back but he wouldnt admit to it and made me come back the next morning when they miraculously had a handful again.

[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]On the other hand, back when the Wii was hot my store manager had us do something I thought was shady. When we received a shipment of like 30 Wiis he had me take one out of the back at a time and tell people it is our last one. This way the sale would go pretty much to the highest bidder. The customer would have to buy accessories and PSPs (protection service plans).[/citation]
Thats pretty shady.

I was with my brother when he bought a laptop at BB and he decided to buy an extended warranty and I got suspicious because the employee was doing some quick fingered handy work and I could see that he deleted a line right after he added it. I even asked him if that was normal, he said it was so I brushed it off.

Sure enough a year later when my brother had to use the warranty they said he didnt have one.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
First, while I don't agree with the lying part, there is nothing that says that Best Buy, or any other store, is required to sell anyone anything, as long as they aren't participating in discrimination. Sure, it is bad business, but when the public allowed its nationwide competitors (e.g. Circuit City, Good Guys, etc.) to go out of business this is what you get. Competition is good. That being said the opinion that a store "has" to sell you something if they have it in the back, or that you're entitled to get anything you want if you have the money in your wallet is a perfect reflection of the greed and mixed-up priorities this country now has. The things people will do to get an Apple product are sadly shocking. There are a lot more important things than Best Buy preventing someone from getting an electronic toy they don't need since they have generation 1, nor should they be buying because that means putting them in debt and relying on people like me to bail them out of credit card debt because the government allows it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]GWN[/nom]You know what, Apple is not for everyone. If I happen to like the PlayBook better, I'm not going to look down my nose at others who don't. The consumer base is big enough for multiple players in the tablet market.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
So?!? Go down to any other of the dealers carrying it and buy one. If any store wants to shoot themselves in the foot by all means get out of their way and let them...

G

I missed my opportunity to buy an ipad2 at BB the day it came out. My local store only received 10. The store 20 minutes away got over 200. I went down to the other store the next morning (15 minutes after opening) to RESERVE my ipad 2. They made me buy a $100 gift card and filled out a form. Said it was refundable. Said they should be getting smaller shipments in a few times a week and since I was basically 2nd in line to reserve an ipad I should get called to come pick it up in a few days. Well I waited 4 weeks, no call. Got one at the Apple store. Went to get my money back and tell them to cancel the reservation and they told me I couldn't get a refund on the gift card.

Yes it was all a sham to boost their sales #'s and they lied to me. I am a silver reward member and quite honestly has brought me zero benefits that I could use. Am I done with BB? No, but I'm going to buy my stuff elsewhere when I can. Thought Apple was being the bad guy and not restocking BB's shelves when it turns out that's probably not the case at all.

If I were Apple and found out about the RESERVATIONS BB was doing I would tell them to cease sells as well.

G

I work at bestbuy. Anytime we have gotten them in, they have all gone to customers that pre-ordered. The rest of them are being held for the promotion, as commented on by a few of you. It's not like bestbuy is stocking shelves of them in the back. Its just not happening. Apple doesnt exactly pump these things out. We got something like 25 of them for the launch at our store.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
From my observations, most of Best Buy's staff are a bunch of pot smoking college kids who:

1. Usually lazy
2. Not very knowledgeable about products (or make up facts about things)
3. Overzealous and want to sell you unneeded goods
4. Could give a sh*t if you buy something or not and are their for their check

Now I'm sure there are stores out there that have genuinely great workers, but I haven't seen them in my neck of the woods. I'll stick to Amazon & NewEgg... can't beat their prices anyhow 99% of the time.

G

I won't buy a battery from Best Buy. Their sales tactics are so bad I do not even want to walk into a store.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Not only have I never had problems with BBY, I also have never had problems with any large retailer I buy products from. All companies want to give their customers good service and will work hard to resolve problems.

To a degree, you are correct. Best Buy does both good and bad things thou. It depends who you deal with, what you bought, etc etc...

I had a digital camera, BB repaired it several times - months without the camera = grrrrrr. After the 2nd failure - I told them to give me another camera, that their "tech" doesn't have the skills to fix my camera.

The last repair-failure on it pissed me off. All the same problem. The extended warranty had expired by the time I got the camera back. I got the camera, took it home to stick in the memory card, etc... yep, still useless. Went back to the store the next day and they said "sorry warranty expired" - geez, it was IN their "repair center" for 3 months!
It took a heated argument with the manager to honor the warranty... I explained, well - if it was repaired in a timely manner and actually came back REPAIRED, this wouldn't be an issue.

BBy had/has a 4 times lemon-replacement rule. He gave in, handed me a new camera - that is 2 years newer, of course.

Overall, I'd say it was a BAD experience. Out of dozens of good or fine experience. A retail business is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.