Best Cheap (<$300) AT&T Smartphone Without Contract (so can be unlocked)?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
So I need to get a smartphone for my AT&T plan. I can't go through AT&T to buy it.

This smartphone can either be contract-free AT&T or unlocked (as I understand it). I just can't buy it directly new from AT&T (or I guess I could, but it would cost $700 without a plan).

I would prefer an Android phone, and less than $300. Also, warranty is a must (I'm okay with refurbished, but it has to have a warranty).

I don't think I've had much luck finding phones like this... I don't know much about phones (aPCs are my area).

So far, I am thinking that the $200 Motorola Moto G is my best bet. There is also a Samsung S3 mini or something like that (which I'm moderately uncomfortable with).

What would you recommend?

Also, what about the HTC One X and possibly the Samsung Galaxy S3?

Solution
The Moto G is a nice phone. The S3 Mini and the HTC One X are old phones as they are already 2 generations down the line. Moto G will be supported for at least a few more years and will get android updates before most phones. The Nokia Lumia 500/520 whatever it is called is also extremely cheap and is nice if you want to try WP8.

Try Danny Winget's video. I do not own this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO8sbOP7pTc&list=UUGq7ov9-Xk9fkeQjeeXElkQ

Thanks

LOLOLzers123

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
The Moto G is a nice phone. The S3 Mini and the HTC One X are old phones as they are already 2 generations down the line. Moto G will be supported for at least a few more years and will get android updates before most phones. The Nokia Lumia 500/520 whatever it is called is also extremely cheap and is nice if you want to try WP8.

Try Danny Winget's video. I do not own this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO8sbOP7pTc&list=UUGq7ov9-Xk9fkeQjeeXElkQ

Thanks

Solution

Noprompt

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
I disagree, for under $200 Moto G could be the best... but for under $300 I'd go for Lenovo K910 Vibe Z (better camera, processor Qualcomm Snapdragon, display and more...)also has LTE and it's upgradable to KitKat. Its price just dropped, so now is a good time to buy this model (K910)!
Regards