Best DACs (and/or) Sound Cards?

ben99

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying a DAC. But what has me here asking you guys is which one's the best (for regular headphones, 3.5mm jack). A lot of them get these great reviews, but they're incredibly pricey (for my current price point). So, if you could, I'd like for all of your recommendations to be sub $100, unless the situation absolutely calls for a bit higher. \

Or, if a DAC doesn't work with my criteria, would a sound card be better?

Virtual sound would be nice, especially for gaming.

Used for music and gaming.

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50's
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7

Thanks everyone!

Jak Atackka

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Sound cards are good if you want surround sound, whereas DACs are best for getting pure audio quality. In other words, a gamer would use a sound card and an audiophile would use a DAC.

I couldn't help you find a DAC, but I can say from experience that the new Creative Sound Blaster Z cards are phenomenal sound cards.

@op

you really need to provide us some more info as we cannot give you any definite recommendations without it.

what headphones are you currently using?

for what purpose? (music or gaming)

do you want virtual surround sound as an option?

are you using a desktop or laptop?

Exactly.
Also, some of the newer onboard Realtek chips are quite good, but again if you don't have expensive headphones and/or speakers you won't likely hear much difference.

Other:
Make sure you have the proper CONNECTIVITY as well. If you get a sound card does it support both headphones and desktop speakers?

Your headphones MAY plug into your desktop speakers. Also, your speakers may use a DIGITAL connection not analog so it's important to be sure everything works. Finally, don't forget you can't use the FRONT input on the case for headphones if not using onboard.

*Based only on the information I have, I recommend the ASUS XONAR DSX:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-sound-card-xonardsx

(some audio cards support the older PCI instead of PCIe if that's important)

thanks for the edit. that is the information we needed.

i also own a pair of m50s...

i can tell you that they do notreally benefit from a powerful amp but can be used with one, that they will work with just about any soundcard since they dont require lots of power to drive and that they can benefit from a better soundcard however the differences might not be so great in audio quality unless you are currently having trouble with your onboard sound.

the low cost xonar dg for $28 http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DG/ supports dolby headphone so is a budget solution for just adding virtual surround to your capabilities. as far as sound quality is concerned... its really not too much different than your onboard.

the mid level xonar dx for $89 has the better dac found inside higher end soundcards such as the stx so is definitely an upgrade to motherboard audio. it also has dolby headphone which means virtual surround. it also supports DDL and optical connections which means that it can be used to send a 5.1 audio signal to such things as speakers such as the z5500/z906 or home theater systems. not sure if that matters to you of course.. but it means that its a bit more rounded and capable of more than just acting as a headphone dac/amp.

you could also get the creative z for about the same price... but that uses cmss3d which is generally considered to be not quite as good as dolby headphone for virtual effects. perhaps you want to check it out but my vote is for asus products.

1) Virtual surround:
I have CMSS 3D, and when I looked up that versus Dolby's solution most of the comments I saw suggested CMSS 3D was better.

*I didn't know how to use it properly. It's a bit confusing:
a) CMSS 3D on
b) Playback Devices to 5.1
c) profile to HEADPHONES in other software

Then, go back and verify playback devices is not only still 5.1 (using your headphones) but that the TEST audio works with nothing muted.

**I'm not certain the above applies to you however, as you may have different SOFTWARE that makes this easier. Just make sure you have the proper software installed and look for any Virtual Surround option if different from the above.

2) Sound card?
I'm not sure you'd see much difference, nor can I test. I do notice a big difference between my Auzentech X-Fi Forte (not available now) and my Z77 Sabertooth (ALC892 I believe). Auzentech also gave me their best OP-AMP upgrade as well so I could test for them.

I have excellent quality speakers (M-Audio AV40) and great Sony headphones (MDR-V700). My headphones should be very comparable to yours.

However, your onboard audio is better than mine by likely four generations (ALC1150 ?). The Realtek chip is slightly newer, and more importantly you have an EMI shield and two OP-AMPS (one for front panel). The OP-AMP makes a huge difference as it helps prevent distortion in the analog signal.

So to be clear, you have a better Realtek chip (digital data) which then is amplified by better OP-AMPS then I have.

3) DAC?
A good DAC is likely better than most sound cards I've seen, however again your onboard sound is about as good as onboard gets and possibly to the point where it's hard to tell the difference between it and something a lot "better".

I've looked for good reviews for a long time, and have discovered the only way is to test yourself. Some say "no difference" now but I disagree. In your case I'd say "minor difference" arguably not worth the money to upgrade.

**GOOD ENOUGH**??
We're rapidly approaching the point where onboard solutions are so good that we can't tell the difference, when paired with quality audio drivers, to the best DAC's available. We're not there with basic solutions, but I think we're likely VERY CLOSE for your motherboard.

Auzentech X-Fi Forte uses a Creative chip and was a high end sound card. It's too bad they went out of business. They had the best HT card out their and actually had a HDMI out!

I agree, on board sound is much better than it was. Can you really here the difference of 100 SNR(on board) and 124 SNR(sound card), maybe but 96%(most likely 99.9%) of people can't. If you're recording audio, then yes use the best equipment.

If you want a sound card, I don't recommend ASUS because their software/drivers/support is sub par. It's like lets make some sound cards with good hardware but not support it. Creative at least has a vested interest in sound cards because that is what they do(for ASUS it is a little side business), so Creative puts a lot more effort in their software/drivers and for gaming they are much better. Creative works with PC game companies to make the audio clues for games the best.

I prefer CMSS 3D over Dolby, then EAX by Creative is/was fantastic surround.

The only reason I bought a sound card(in the past I did buy sound cards too) the Creative Zhttp://us.creative.com/promos/SoundBlasterZseries/
is because my on board is going bad on one of my computers, plus the Z card comes with an excellent mic.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...

its a crapshoot really.

some people prefer creative's cmss3d while others fawn over dolby headphone. personally i've seen more DH traffic so i suggested that one.

you can figure out which you like better by going here and watching the videos at the top http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added and comparing the three to see which you like better. wear headphones for the test. that way you dont have to take our word for anything and you can decide for yourself.