Best Free Security Software

mactronix

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Hi guys,

Its been ages since i have gone the free route with security and i am looking for some advice on the best way to do so.

I have purchased a Laptop on behalf of my daughter ( I have the credit card she does not ) My wife when telling her it arrived said i would set it up for her :sarcastic:

Anyway she said she wants AVG Free on it by way of security. My memory of these things is that you need to run additional spyware Apps and possibly an additional firewall ?

So can anyone advise if there is a good catch all Free solution out there or do i do what i know to be the sensible thing and buy and install a paid for suite like the Kaspersky i use my self.

I know which is the right thing to do but i also know that buying one is a bit pointless as she wont renew it.

All suggestions welcome.

Mactronix :)

nicelynicely

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, seems pretty good to be, doesn't have many options and stuff though but it gets the job done and it doesn't slow my system down or keep anoying me, so ye i'd recomend Security Essentials

mactronix

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks guys, I have put a trial on it and now its down to her to renew it or not.
Thanks again for the input.

Mactronix :)