Best freeware to copy DVD to hard drive as ISO image

gak1952

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I want to make backups of some invaluable copy-protected DVDs directly to my hard drive as ISO files.

I'd be very grateful to anyone who could recommend any freeware that could make these copies for me.

I thank forum members in advance for their help. I very much appreciate it.

gak1952

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just wondering what formats it copies the DVD as and what you would recommend. I'd rather a single file/folder format like MPEG-2. Also how long does it take. What I've tried so far seems to take forever. I just wonder if that is the nature of the beast.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I very much appreciate it.Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just wondering what formats it copies the DVD as and what you would recommend. I'd rather a single file/folder format like MPEG-2. Also how long does it take. What I've tried so far seems to take forever. I just wonder if that is the nature of the beast.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I very much appreciate it.

gak1952

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just wondering what formats it copies the DVD as and what you would recommend. I'd rather a single file/folder format like MPEG-2. Also how long does it take. What I've tried so far seems to take forever. I just wonder if that is the nature of the beast.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I very much appreciate it.

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
i never own or have a chance to use copy protected DVD's...
from the details listed on wesite
Input
DVD-Video disc, Blu-ray-Video disc
Output
DVD folder, Blu-ray folder

just use this to remove the Copy protection & then use Handbrake , formatfactory or any other rippers for specific format..
freeware are programs by contribution of lot of people.. and you cant expect every thing in 1 place as similar to paid software made by media giants
search with sourceforge.net for better products if available

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
There was a utility out a while ago called DVD Decryptor that was free. This would extract the original vob et al files. You could then burn these on to a new disc.

And apparently someone has made a mirror of the old site.

http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/