Best Gaming/Audio Headset

My Current headset, a Corsair Vengeance 1500v2 is constantly having connection problems...

What is a good gaming headset under $80 that is also good for music? Surround sound would be a plus as well.

Solution
The best headset I know of in that price range is the HyperX Cloud. It has good build and sound quality which is usually hard to find in similarly priced headsets. No virtual surround sound however and the mic isn't the best but otherwise it's worth what you pay for them.

It is currently $60 on newegg and comes with a mouse pad.

pierrerock

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
in the same range as the corsair 1500, there is the Logitech G430. I have the two. I personally prefer the corsair, but i too have connection problems.

Plus the G430 works both USB or 1/8 analog. So you can connect it to your phone or tablet and listen to netflix this way

Thanks for replying, ironically I had the G430 before I had the vengeance 1500v2. Problem with the G430 is that it puts an intense amount of pressure on my head, so I always get headaches after wearing it.

I was looking at the hyperx cloud, is that a good headset?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
The best headset I know of in that price range is the HyperX Cloud. It has good build and sound quality which is usually hard to find in similarly priced headsets. No virtual surround sound however and the mic isn't the best but otherwise it's worth what you pay for them.

It is currently $60 on newegg and comes with a mouse pad.

Solution

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE love love logitech headsets, if it wasn't for the comfort issue, i would still have my G430. I already have a G440 mousepad, G500s mouse, and G710+ keyboard.

I was considering the G633 but seriously $150! I'm just gona get the HyperX Cloud since it has awesome reviews and I can use my razer surround sound software to add in surround sound. :)

At this point, I just want something that works well and is reliable, I'm tired of going to my loyal brands and them not having something that suits me.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Logitech does not make good headsets. Period. I have a friend with that same headset (G430) and have used it a few times. They are terrible. The cloth earpads are just about the cheapest of any headphone I have seen, it clamps tightly on your head causing fatigue in no time, and worst of all the sound is mediocre.

Looking at their higher end models they seem to be no different. Tons of money poured into marketing compared to the headset itself.

If spending that amount of money you are much better off buying a pair of good quality stereo headphones and attaching a mic to them. But that's not a problem with the Cloud's since they are based off an existing headphone that is known to be quite good for its price in the audiophile community. The TakStar PRO 80.

Oh good, thanks for your answer. Since I've thought about it more, my budget is extended to $100 now, i was considering the hyper x cloud 2, since it has 7.1 surround built in, however I'm not gona buy it since the usb sound card isn't great from what I've heard and you can't plug it into your computer's 3.5mm jack (even though it has one...).

However, before I make a pruchase, is there a good regular gaming headset for $100 (that's worth $100) and doesn't use usb?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Not that I know of. If you are open to using stereo headphones and attaching a mic to them that would open up a lot of great options. Some major audio companies like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, and Beyerdynamic have their own headsets but they are ridiculously over priced.

Sargent_Horse

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
Didn't mean to downvote that sorry. I have the G930s and I love them, people complain about the durability but I don't have a problem. I am going to upgrade to the G933 or G633 soon. I use all logi G stuff, the Orion Spark, G930s, and the Proteus Core.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
They might make good mice and keyboards but their headsets are pretty bad. It's hard to tell the difference unless you have tried or owned something better. I highly recommend buying a separate pair of headphones and attach a mic to them instead of buying that headset for $200.

Just looking at the G933 I can see it's not going to be a good product. Follows the typical trend of "gamer" headsets with flashy looks and blinking lights. Once it's on your head all you will care about how comfortable it is and how it sounds. Upon a quick search it seems like its also plagued with software issues.

Something as simple as the headphone jack can say a lot about the product.

EX: Here's the 3.5mm plug found on a lot of audio technica's sub $100 headphones, including the m50 I owned.

8218246616_5ae52c9b98_b.jpg

Now compare that to the logitech's (biggest image I could find lol):

image.png

Clearly it is easy to see which one is the better product. The reason your headset hasn't given you any problems is because you must take very good care of it.

Comfort is another factor, I know for around $150 you can get the DT 770 PRO which is the most comfortable headphone I have tried in its price range. Plenty of soft foam headband padding, low clamping force, and velour pads that feel like pillows on your ears. Simply a joy to listen to and wear. Just one headphone of many options...

Build quality. Continuing on the 770 PROs they are built like tanks. Sturdy plastic and metal construction. I have seen countless pictures of Logitech headsets snapping at their joints. The HyperX Cloud has a similar design to the 770 PRO with the solid metal arks holding the ear cups which is why I wasn't afraid to recommend it.

Sound quality: Perhaps the biggest difference, though it is hard to understand unless you have heard a high end headphone before. Music can be enjoyed like never before with detail that can't be heard in these subpar gaming headsets. Gaming isn't all about graphics, sound plays an important factor in immersion as well. Certain headphones have something called a good soundstage and imaging. Soundstage refers to depth of field in audio and imaging refers to how well you can locate a certain object in that field. For example in FPS style games since you will be able to pick up enemy footsteps and know where exactly they are coming from. With good imaging and soundstage virtual surround sound software isn't needed.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Yes, there should be a noticeable improvement. A lot of gaming headsets tend to have boomy and muddy bass. The Cloud's do not. It might take a bit for your ears to get used to the change but know that quantity does not equal quality.