Best Gaming Headset? Astros or Headphones + modmic?

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi guys,
So i want to get a new headset following the complete falling apart of my PX21s, i need to decide between a headset like the astro a40s, or a good pair of headphones like sennheiser hd598s and a modmic. I just want your opinions on the matter, is it worth it? I like to listen yo music a lot and like a good set of headphones.

Thanks,
Harry

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for the answer,

What if i want to have a gaming and music hybrid, would you advise going down the modmic route i.e is the sennheiser good for gaming out if the box on pc and consoles or would i need to get an external sound card?

Valnac

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014

I'm using the onboard Creative Sound Core3D quad-core audio processor sound on motherboard, and I think it's fantastic. Has Op-Amp support, but I haven't bothered with that as I don't feel I need it. My old Realtec device was acceptable but never would I call it "good".
So, short answer. If you are an audiophile a discrete sound card would make a greater change than better headsets by far.

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Yea, well i wouldn't class myself as an audiophile, its just a relative has a par of open backed sennheisers that we got him, and they are exceptionally comfortable and also sound amazing. I just want to make sure that i am going to get the most out of the money that i am going to spend.

Valnac

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
Personally I'd go with the Astro's simply because Ive had mine for a couple years now and they still perform superbly for my needs (primarily gaming).

well... that all depends on what your preferences would be.

sound quality is certainly going to be better on the hd598 and modmic combo however for virtual you would likely need to buy a soundcard.

however, the hd598 is not the only choice out there. there are others depending on what kind of sound profile you want.

for instance the ad700x+modmic is only $130+50 but it has even less bass then the 598. the 558 has more bass than the 598 and is cheaper but doesnt quite have the clarity and soundstage.