Best glue to use for re-setting computer screw nuts?

Arhk001

Prominent
May 23, 2017
I'm currently in the process of repairing a broken laptop screen, and while I was dismanteling my screen, I noticed the nuts that fasten the screws for the hinges were loose. Upon further inspection, I noticed I could actually take the nuts completely out of their slot. I assume the manufacturer likely used a medium-strength glue so they could tell if it had been tampered with, although it's also a possibility I simply put too much torque on it.

Regardless, I was curious as to what the best type of glue would be to set the nuts back, and prevent them from coming out again. I'm very wary of glues that could be flammable, sparkable, etc. As this will be right under and next to the screen LCD. I've provides some pictures for relevance.

nMmdxa

gxMTxa

Any suggestions?

Solution

What do you think caused the nut to be torqued out of its surrounding plastic anchor? It was due to the use of Loctite. You don't want to repeat the problem. There is no need for you to lock the screw in place anymore.

To re-anchor the nut back into the plastic housing, after you've removed the screw, you'll need to use epoxy because...
Epoxy is pretty much permanent. Try Loctite threadlocker.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

Based on your description, that's probably what the manufacturer originally used. You use it when you can't or don't want to use a locking nut or a split ring washer to prevent the nut from loosening by itself. The blue stuff is if you'll have to unscrew it at some point. The red stuff is for a more permanent fastener.

Arhk001

Prominent
May 23, 2017

This is where I found the largest dilemma. I had heard that Loctite is usually what these manufactures use (As someone else posted, the blue Loctite is what it seems the screws were coated with so tampering would be evident), and had heard that red was one of the higher strengths, but I'm just not sure if it's right for the nuts. Out of curiosity, why would you prefer I use epoxy over loctite?

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

What do you think caused the nut to be torqued out of its surrounding plastic anchor? It was due to the use of Loctite. You don't want to repeat the problem. There is no need for you to lock the screw in place anymore.

To re-anchor the nut back into the plastic housing, after you've removed the screw, you'll need to use epoxy because that is the only adhesive that will properly fill in the gaps of missing plastic around the nut and actually has the strength to hold the nut.

Solution

Arhk001

Prominent
May 23, 2017

I think I'll definitely use an epoxy then. Is there a certain brand you prefer over the others? Or will just about anything that bonds metal to plastic with a decent temperature range do the trick.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea what brands of 5-minute, two-part epoxies you have access to. There's no point in recommending something else.

Here's an example of a two-part, 5 Minute Set epoxy: http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy