BEST hard drive image software

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbelk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I'm looking for the best software to image my hard drive to either a network storage device or RW's. My hard drive is failing & I am tired of doing the daunting re-install process of everything. I need some thing that is compatible with Vista & XP. I also need to be able to place that image on any size hard drive exactly as it appeared when I made the image. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dorsy99

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
From my understanding, Norton Ghost 14 will do what you want, It can also split disk image volumes to sizes (i.e. 4gb) for DVDs. I think that is your best bet :)

Russ51

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I've had such a good experience with Driveimage 7, the last version from PowerQuest, that I would buy a used copy of it somewhere if I didn't have it already. Freeware DriveImage XML is fine, but you have to jump through some hoops to make a boot CD with it, and you definitely want your driveimage program to be able to run off a boot CD or other bootable device.

paulbelk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for all the posts! They have all really giving me something to think about. I am currently using a free copy of Capricorns EZ Gig II software & it didn't work worth a darn until I reversed the drives & then it worked great.

I have tried a few other products but couldn't really figure out how to use them the best.

Does anyone have any screen shots, or reasons I should go with their choice?

chillygoose

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I have used True Image for a few years switching from Ghost. I find it most functional in a home environment for disk imagining and also quite functional as a daily backup for my computers. Ghost is most functional in a DOS environment and has updated their software to be more functional with in a windows environment but from my experience True Image is a very smart buy. Here is a link that provides some good info.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/9_ways_disasterproof_your_pc

G

i have used all of above softwares but lastly i am fix on Active Boot Disk because it has every thing you can think about. it is last option and once you use it you will forget all the things. Best use is prepare fresh disk, install all software and applications and create image. Now you can forget everything.

G

Is there any software that can restore complete HDD to another HDD with possibly different size??!
If it is not possible, is there any software that can Image Windows to anther HDD with different size?

Status
Not open for further replies.