Best home internet filtering and monitoring solution

Jun 30, 2018
Hiya,

I currently use a Sky Hub with the bog standard Sky Broadband Shield filtering that comes with it.

I'd like a lot more control for the filtering though, and be able to view websites accessed by each connected device, as I have young teenage kids.

I'm not particularly fussed between a hardware or software solution, but would prefer not to have to install software on wireless devices in order for them to be filtered.

There are a mixture of devices in the house - Windows, Android, PS4 and iOS - so the solution would need to be suitable for all. I've read a couple of product reviews that suggest iOS device filtering can be a little more problematic.

Anyways, and help/guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Solution
Build a pfSense firewall. Connect that to your modem and your router to your pfSense firewall. That is the best way to have full control of your internet. That won't give you any insight to what cellular devices are doing, but will tell you what your internet service is doing.

kanewolf

Judicious
Build a pfSense firewall. Connect that to your modem and your router to your pfSense firewall. That is the best way to have full control of your internet. That won't give you any insight to what cellular devices are doing, but will tell you what your internet service is doing.

Solution