Best hypervisor or cheap windows server software

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I just got a Dell tower server and want to run a few different vms on it. What is a good cheap supervisor, or does anyone know a cheap way to get windows server?

Solution
As far as I recall, the Insider program does not have a time limit, but again, part of the agreement is that you're using this for testing and development and not in a production environment. If you need to use this with live data, you need to purchase Windows Server Licenses (or find another option).

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Illustrious

THANKS!
I didn't even realize Server was in the Insider program.
(I shoulda paid more attention)

I was an Insider for Win 10 from Day 1, but didn't realize they had included Server in that as well.
My dev VM environment just got larger...:)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Imagine is a student entitlement.
The Insider program is for as long as MS wants to support it, but absolutely NOT meant for a production environment.
And accepting of whatever updates MS wants to push to your system, even if it breaks something.

But you can run multiple VM's in a regular Windows OS. I do on my Win 10 Pro.
3, 4, 5 VMs simultaneously. Just need sufficient RAM.

4 x VMs in VirtualBox, and the host Win 10 Pro.
G7Ro10y.png

As far as I recall, the Insider program does not have a time limit, but again, part of the agreement is that you're using this for testing and development and not in a production environment. If you need to use this with live data, you need to purchase Windows Server Licenses (or find another option).

-Wolf sends

Solution