Best laptop for $100, $200, $300.

teflonfrog

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi. I am looking for laptops for:
$100: Just to see if this is possible
$200: Basics (school work, Word, PowerPoint, YouTube)
$300: Basics + Extremely light gaming (LoL, MineCraft, etc)

I want to stay away from Chromebooks since I read that they can't get Word, which is a must for my school work.
Thanks.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Go for an i3 or Pentium at the bare minimum. You will hate everything below that with a passion.

At that price range, an i3-6100U like the one linked would be the best you can do, which is fine - should be usable for most school work and maybe some older games on the iGPU.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
The quad-core atom 2 in 1s or mini laptops (mostly from ASUS) can be good values and can work just fine if you lower your expectations a bit. I use one of the T100TA line (quad-core atom, 2gb of RAM, 64gb eMMC) as my ultraportable for long trips. Battery is great and office apps work just fine. But it won't game (beyond things like minesweeper :) ).

If you're really looking for cheap laptops, you can mine that one big auction site or those online classifieds...but buyer beware on some of them. You might get a great deal on something someone just wants out of their house. Or you might get a piece of junk.

For that price I would recommend tablets as they are normally better than their laptop counterparts if you don't mind using a touchscreen.If you insist on a laptop, they will not be very good, most have terrible displays and slow cpus. I strongly suggest you save up.