Best point and shoot that shoots RAW image format?

Apr 5, 2018
I am looking for the very best “point and shoot” camera, but it must be able to shoot in the RAW image format and not just Jpeg! It would also be nice to have a microphone port for sound recording when shooting videos.

I find it quite crazy that some of the most expensive point and shoot camera do not have the RAW image format! Why on Earth would I want to only shoot in the Jpeg mode?

Any ideas?

Solution
DPReview has a review of the best fixed prime compact cameras. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-fixed-prime-lens-cameras

They all shoot RAW and are full frame or APS-C sensor size. These are the cream of the crop. But they have prime lenses, no zoom. The Ricoh is small enough to fit in your pocket, the Sony has their famous couple of hundred points autofocus system, some are full frame, the fujifilm won the battle. It all depends on your needs.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Users of point-and-shoot cameras won't know what RAW files are, let alone care about them. The premise of point-and-shoot is to allow the camera to do the work and the premise of RAW is give the photographer more control over the image, so the two don't really gel. You also need to consider the validity of RAW with cameras that have small image sensors.

Certain bridge cameras can shoot RAW, but again, with their small image sensors and ability to resolve far less detail, what's the point?

USAFRet

Illustrious

There are some.
Start your search at dpreview

https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#criterias=SpecsCoreParams%2CSpecsUncompressedFormatNew&paramSpecsCoreParamsBodyType=Compact&paramSpecsUncompressedFormatNew=RAW

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
DPReview has a review of the best fixed prime compact cameras. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-fixed-prime-lens-cameras

They all shoot RAW and are full frame or APS-C sensor size. These are the cream of the crop. But they have prime lenses, no zoom. The Ricoh is small enough to fit in your pocket, the Sony has their famous couple of hundred points autofocus system, some are full frame, the fujifilm won the battle. It all depends on your needs.

Solution
Apr 5, 2018

Terrible and uninformed answer!!! I went with the Lumix ZS-100 and got it new for $340.00!

Pauleduc

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

Kindly tell me where you got this for 340. Was this a one-off price, off the back of a truck, black market, etc.? This is almost half the going rate

Apr 5, 2018

When the ZS200’s came out, Best Buy took all their ZS100’s that were on display in the stores (demos) and sold them as “open box” item. Mine was in prefect shape and came with a full warranty! I was shocked when I found out about this because I was very close to paying twice that price for one.

By the way, I love the camera! It was an excellent deal and I am glad I bought it. I’m using it primarily to shoot 4k video of local bands playing at the Skylark Lounge in Denver. In fact, I like it so much that I am now looking into buying a Lumix 4K camcorder that I can add a surround sound mic to it.

Nov 13, 2018

I politely disagree, I love my full frame dslr but theres some places where having a big camera and lens isn't acceptable or it ruins your ability to get truly candid moments, having the compact size of a point and shoot that also gives me the versatility of RAW in post is extremely nice.