Best Streaming Service - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojaioaks

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Actually, you're wrong about Amazon only offering a $99 yearly subscription. They do offer a monthly subscription for $9 a month. I have one. Also, Amazon is shareable on multiple devices. You want tv without paying for cable and monthly subscriptions for streaming apps, get the Amazon Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV Box. It does cost $99 to purchase one. But that is all you pay. No subscriptions, no other fees and you don't even need an Amazon account to buy one. All you need is an internet connection. You buy the stick or box, connect it to your tv and turn on. It is wireless, so you can easily access your internet without being plugged into it. Then there you are. I can watch any tv show or any movie I want, as long as it's already been aired. Yes, I have to wait until the next day after a show airs to watch. But I have no cable bill, just a $75.00 internet bill, that's it. You don't even need Hulu or Netflix, unless you want them. I can even watch movies that are still in theaters. No paying to go to the movies anymore. I highly recommend if you are looking to cut the cable.

quikgamer

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Amazon sucks, their movie selection is crap, prime episodes are randomized, you have to pay for some episodes.

carlsteve

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

There are regional differences in Vue's channel line-ups, so stating that something is missing for the majority of users is incorrect. If you want certain channels or networks added in your area, you should submit a request to Sony. My Vue subscription includes the big 4 broadcast networks. ABC, Fox, and NBC shows are offered on demand. That includes everything from daytime shows to late-night shows plus prime time comedy, drama, and reality shows. My subscription also includes the local CBS affiliate, both local and network programs (the same as watching over the air or through cable/satellite). Vue is a work in progress. New channels and service enhancements are being added all the time. The streaming service that went national in March 2016 was never meant to be the final product.

carlsteve

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
The prices you listed for PlayStation Vue are for large metro areas only. In the smaller TV markets, the price is $10 less per month. The statement that Vue is "about as expensive as cable" depends on the level of service you select. Many Vue users have reported in other forums that they saved hundreds of dollars per year compared to their previous cable service. Sony dropped the 13 Viacom-owned channels last November because of a money dispute. Instead of raising Vue's price, Sony elected to drop those channels. Since then, several other channels have been added.

When I tried using Sling on my computer, it was riddled with technical problems. Sling tech support never came up with solutions, so I dropped the service. At that time, Sling didn't offer a DVR feature. Limited DVR service has since been added, but you have to pay extra for it. In contrast, Vue's DVR is free. The statement that Sling "is the only place to watch ESPN without cable or satellite TV" is false. A Vue subscription includes ESPN, among other sports channels.

shawano1000

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
I just cancelled HULU due to their updated (and supremely stupid) interface. I need to find another streaming service for current tv shows. The time is ripe for a competitor to HULU.

aredman37

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
I am a Canadian. What is the best streaming device/s for use in Canada? What and how do the costs work?

Andy

black123

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Hulu's DVR service is a bust. So far this week 5 programs we 'recorded' only played half way through before switching to something else (i.e. in the middle of Jeopardy it switched to
Will and Grace.) There is no way to get help either. BTW, we pay 39.99 per month for out service to get local and other channels and the ability to record :-(

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
J-ameson is totally right. You can't say Sony PSVue is the best replacement for cable...notwithstanding the missing 'big-4.' Below is a cleaned-up version of my recent experience with PSVue for the past 9 months - it's not been a pleasant experience, nd I really do hate Cox Communications, and really wanted cutting the cord to work: Absolutely LOUSY support! Non-existent except for 9-5 M-F! I am quitting on Monday – the next work day! I take the prerogative to condemn absolutely poor products at my advanced age. Sony"s Captcha “I am not a robot” screen keeps on going and going on and on until you find yourself ‘timed out!’ that's no matter how quick you are! The folks that designed that procedure should be condemned to a particularly low level of Dante's h*lls!

Sony PlayStation Vue is definitely NOT ready for prime time. I have a ROKU – a TCL ROKU TV – and, with their new interface (last few days), HOW DO I GET OUT OF A PROGRAM AND TO THE MENU TO CHANGE STATIONS? The only screen I can get to is to leave PSVUE. Push the BACK button on the ROKU remote, then select YES on ‘I Want To Exit PSVUE,’ then
re-load PSVue from the ROKU menu, and only then I can select a station from the station menu screen. If I watch for a few minutes, I cannot again get the Menu screen form the remote by pushing the Back button. The only way to get to anther station is to exit PS Vue and start all over again.

Yes I HAVE performed their "delete PSVue from the ROKU station list and then again re-load it," returning to my PC to enter the new code. I have done this procedure twice now…a real aggravation. What is going on with Sony that they force a new menu system – that is obviously NOT working! – and do not do any customer notification (except, “If you have problem with PS Vue on your ROKU, try to delete the streaming service, and then just reload it”). Lousy. LOUSY! They ought to be ashamed of
themselves…and this poor programming!

I've been a subscriber since May 2017...it has been less than satisfactory the whole time, and now, with a new - non-working - menu system for ROKU, I will finally quit. As I said, I am going to try Sling or DirecTVNow starting next week! (I do hate Cox Communications...and am TRYING to 'cut the cord' but it's not working too well so far.) I can't even get to my account today - Saturday - without the login scree timing out with the incessant Captcha images going on and on. Disgusted...and I hope the folks at Sony responsible for this lousy service DO NOT have a Happy Holiday Season!

daacker

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
I am a new Roku user and have tried several apps/channels. I just want to say BUYER BEWARE if you choose Sling TV..check them out on BBB website to find a shocking 98% negative review based on customer service and anti-consumer practices/policies. Anyone writing an article about streaming tv should definitely check this out before endorsing or even mentioning such a terrible company.

Cliff13A

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
So far..a LOT of ruined streams via letterbox or smaller than letterbox formats. .all of which strain my eyes on a 19 inch monitor. Sorry. NONE of these, in my opinion, really rate serious attention. Until someone goes back to dedicated full screen episodes, they'll be rated as junk.

Cliff13A

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Another Con. . most offer only letterbox format..at my age hard on the eyes, using a 19 " screen.. Personal opinion: Until they get a dedicated Full screen service up they rate as Junk. . across the board.

rgd1101

Don't

here, better than a review
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/amazon-netflix-major-studios-sue-set-tv-streaming-service-alleging-mass-infringement-content/amp/

Jul 3, 2018
I'm using boxxy software for 2 months and I’m satisfied. It plays movies, series with subtitling/dubbing in different languages if needed. Adult content is also offered. It’s free, if I like it I can make donations. I’m thinking to get a VPN though I can use the torrents, because it’s not allowed where I come from.

Jul 12, 2018
This comparison was very helpful to us. After more than 10 years with Xfinity we just cut the cord...not without a lot of hesitation but can't say we miss it at all. We picked YOUTUBE TV for live news, unlimited DVR, and shows on AMC (Sling doesn't carry AMC which was a deal breaker for us), Bravo, and Disney Jr, and HBO NOW for Sesame Street and Game of Thrones. We had Netflix and Amazon Prime even when we had cable and we still use those services a lot. After seeing how easy it has been to get the same content as cable and pay a ton less ($150 less per month in my case), we feel pretty dumb for not cutting the cord a lot sooner.

Jul 10, 2018
I definitely have tried all the streaming services and found HULU to be the worst for dependability, LOADS OF COMMERCIALS MORE THAN CABLE, no program guide other than the show that's on and the next one.
A really lousy way to dvr shows, add to your stuff for anything you wish to dvr, other sites allowed me to dvr with just one click, YOUTUBE gave me all the PHILA channels I wanted, DIRECT TV was stable and channel wise gave me the most and $5 for hbo and others wow.

for the fans of Korean Drama series. I figured I would mention www.dramafever.com, stream to your heart's pleasure .. free or 10$/month for no commercials, and with subtitles in English, Spanish and Portuguese, it is a great streaming service.

Status
Not open for further replies.