Best vacuum for cleaning laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks, I was wondering if you can recommend a vacuum for cleaning my laptop?

I've previously bought a cheap (£1) USB mini-vacuum and it was useless, so I'm looking for something more powerful/effective. It would also be great to find a duster (that sprays air out).

I found the following so far but didn't know if they are any good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITdusters-com-EGP-COM-011-CompuCleaner-Electric-Duster/dp/B00S7CH6FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1463945855&sr=1-1&keywords=datavac

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecommercia-ProsKit-Portable-Keyboard-Cleaning/dp/B0199TTOXG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1463944995&sr=8-9&keywords=laptop+vacuum

Any recommendations would be much appreciated (btw - I prefer not to use the spray air dusters/cans).

Thanks!

Solution
I've been in the PC field since the mid 70s, I have always used the nozzle of my home vacuum hovering over my components while using a toothbrush/ paintbrush as a duster. I've never had a problem or neither have the others I know that use the same method.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks but I prefer not to use compressed air, would prefer some sort of vacuum.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks, sounds interesting. Is it safe to use a conventional/home vacuum-cleaner around computer equipment?

Xuebao61

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
No, you are supposed to use an anti static vacuum. But if people have had successful endeavours with home ones, I wouldn't do it myself, but if it sounds good to you, go ahead.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Xuebao61

Nope, doesn't sound like a good idea to me using a home vacuum.

Any good anti-static computer vacuums you can recommend?

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I use a Shop Vac to clean out my desktops. Some, but not all of the smaller models allow you to insert the hose into the exhaust port so that you are blowing air out, rather than sucking air in, which is the normal mode. Just make sure there is no liquid left in the hose or foam filter of the Shop Vac (I had this happen once, and a fine mist was sprayed into the computer). Of course I had the PC powered off when cleaning, so I just left it to dry and no damage was done.

I am not sure how effective this method would work with a laptop.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks mjslakeridge

Shop Vac is new to me... but looks like a portable mini vacuum cleaner.

Yea, I'm not sure what's best to use with a laptop and whether you can just clean fine externally.

Grugbug

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
I've been in the PC field since the mid 70s, I have always used the nozzle of my home vacuum hovering over my components while using a toothbrush/ paintbrush as a duster. I've never had a problem or neither have the others I know that use the same method.

Solution

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

That's great to know, thanks Grugbug!

What do you use for more stubborn stains/dirt, and what do you think about methods that blow air towards the laptop/computer components?

Grugbug

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
I think using compressed air on certain components just drives dust deeper into the device, especially keyboards.
For tough stains I use a Q-tip and some alcohol. Alcohol on the corner of a paper towel ribbed with a toothpick also works rather well.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Grugbug, I like the idea of the Q-tip.

Anything you could use instead of alcohol?

Kathy110

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
I used to clean my laptop with the shutter blind tool ( https://www.the-vacmaster.ca/shutter-blind-tool/ ) which I purchased online. At first I was not sure whether I could use it to clean my laptop. But once I used it, I was really satisfied with its cleaning capability. It sucks up the dust within seconds and they are light weight.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Kathy110

Looks like a really nice product! I wonder if you can get this product (or similar) here in Europe... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.