Beyer M69N to XLR - does it need phantom power

happymanoftheworld

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hi - I have a Beyer M69N microphone which obviously has the three pin socket in the base. Can I change the lead to have a XLR plug at the end going direct into the amp or do I need Phantom Power or is it a no-goer? The reason is to cut down noise from lead movemen. Thanks

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
As far as i know, phantom power is only needed for Condenser mics (M69N is Dynamic). You shouldn't be using phantom power at all with that mic.
You could connect it straight to the amp, but i'm not sure how that would reduce noise.

happymanoftheworld

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hi Funkydoctor - I am definitely not techy and even worse - a pensioner but I didn't think the M69N was a ribbon mike....... check this out - it seems an amazing but simple resource...... and I have NO connection with them/him/her whatsoever. http://oldmics.cz/?v=2&j=en . ..... I have found that it is a low impedance mike which could be some of the problem --- turned volume to almost max, still quiet but with crackling lead...... so do I buy an impedance plug in type adapter or do I use a preamp? I seem to remember that Beyer mikes years and years ago had a little gizmo as part of the input jack...... I suppose that changed the impedance "Beyer-style" anyone advise from that amassed info. Help! Thanks