Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Sounds Quiet on My Sound Card

Corpses69

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
I got a 250 ohms Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and it sounds nearly the same plugged into my motherboard (ASRock Z270 Pro4 LGA 1151) as it does my 600 ohm sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe). When plugged into my motherboard or sound card they aren't quiet or loud, but if i had to choose one its more towards quiet. Sorry if this is something stupid im new to this kind of stuff and i thought I read up on it well enough but here we are lol.

Lutfij

Splendid
Are you connected off the front panel or the rear panel for both sound cards testing? Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Are you also on the latest drivers for the soundcard? If you're working off the creative card, you should disable the onboard in BIOS.

Corpses69

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

my sound card is in the rear panel and i connect to my motherboard on my front panel. My brother helped me with my BIOS a few months back so i think i might be on the newest drivers if not I'm not sure how to tell. My Sound card is up to date.I have my speakers plugged into the front panel so i can keep my headphones hooked up to the back, if i disable the on-board sound ill have to switch the cables as need right? Also Thanks for the fast response.

D

Deleted member 217926

The speakers and headphones should have different jacks on the soundcard so you can keep them both plugged in. In the card's software is their a gain adjustment for the headphone amp? If so turn it to high.

Corpses69

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

The sound card only has one Green port. Also if this is what you mean (the picture) i have it turned up https://imgur.com/a/hsFMSwS
xqenb1L

Corpses69

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Solved my own question, The ohms for where ever you're plugging it in at must be the same as the headphones. since my DT 990s are 250 and my sound card is 600 and my on-board is ??(definitely not 250 though) that's why this is happening. What is the cheapest 250 ohm headphone amp that someone can recommend to me?

D

Deleted member 217926

That is incorrect. An amp capable of driving 600ohm headphones will easily drive 250 ohm headphones. Or it should. Saying an amp is '600ohms' doesn't really tell you anything about how much power it's putting out. Amps are rated in watts. Even headphone amps. Also you can't completely judge how hard to drive a headphone is by the ohm rating. You also have to factor in sensitivity. The 990 Pro is on the easier to drive side of being 250ohms.

Corpses69

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

My sound card also is not that great i am guessing that getting a dac/amp is the best option
( http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1 ) <---- i think that one is the best choice

D

Deleted member 217926

Your card should be capable of driving those headphones. The Fulla is a decent entry level desktop amp and DAC though.

If you wanted to spend a little more Massdrop has their O2/SDAC combo in stock for $149. It competes with a Schiit stack ( Modi+Magni ) and is a great value at that price. It's capable of driving just about any headphones on the market.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp