Bill Gates Wants to Reinvent the Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
It is crazy the amount of fresh water that is flushed daily, developing countries need this for sure, but from a conservationalist stance the us could stand for an update.

As population grows, water will become more and more of a commodity and logistics nightmare.

G

For a couple bucks, any toilet can modified with a simple kit. I installed 2 of them. On the rubber stopper, it can be adjusted from level 1 to 9. Higher number being the standard amount of water used when it is flushed. I have all mine set to 4. This means a full toilet could be flushed several times per tankful. If its yellow, flush and release. If its brown, hold it down (to allow more water for flushing). Im pretty sure its less than ten bucks.

G

Article inverses the population figure who have access to toilets.

The video states that 2.6 billion people DON'T have access to a toilet...not DO have access...

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
From the hit to the shit! Bill found the job of his life!
Creating the shitdigger replacing current crappers, fully automated with MS operating system!
How more crappy can it get?

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]IfItsYellowLetItMellow[/nom]For a couple bucks, any toilet can modified with a simple kit. I installed 2 of them. On the rubber stopper, it can be adjusted from level 1 to 9. Higher number being the standard amount of water used when it is flushed. I have all mine set to 4. This means a full toilet could be flushed several times per tankful. If its yellow, flush and release. If its brown, hold it down (to allow more water for flushing). Im pretty sure its less than ten bucks.[/citation]
THat's a great fix for now, for everyone who already has a standard toilet. And I'm sure whatever comes of this (contest?) will help the greater part of the world which still needs sanitation and does not yet have something suitable with which do dispose of human waste.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Unless this can be done with cheap, readily available "household" chemicals, I think reducing the amount of water needed is likely to make a lot more sense from a conservation perspective, most of the time. Otherwise, I can envision some other sort of [expensive] consumable(s) being required, not to imagine the cost and expertise required to make any needed repairs. A part of the world that is unable to supply even rudimentary plumbing is not likely to possess the means to ensure delivery and replacement of other consumables.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]IfItsYellowLetItMellow[/nom]For a couple bucks, any toilet can modified with a simple kit. I installed 2 of them. On the rubber stopper, it can be adjusted from level 1 to 9. Higher number being the standard amount of water used when it is flushed. I have all mine set to 4. This means a full toilet could be flushed several times per tankful. If its yellow, flush and release. If its brown, hold it down (to allow more water for flushing). Im pretty sure its less than ten bucks.[/citation]

Maybe a high pressure setting for those messy loads. Wouldn't want to leave treadmarks behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS