Bill Gates Wants to Reinvent the Toilet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Unless this can be done with cheap, readily available "household" chemicals, I think reducing the amount of water needed is likely to make a lot more sense from a conservation perspective, most of the time. Otherwise, I can envision some other sort of [expensive] consumable(s) being required, not to imagine the cost and expertise required to make any needed repairs. A part of the world that is unable to supply even rudimentary plumbing is not likely to possess the means to ensure delivery and replacement of other consumables.[/citation]The only chemical that is needed is chlorine. I work at a wastewater treatment plant as an operator. It requires bacteria in an aerobic environment to breakdown the organic material into sludge, or you can do it anaerobically and produce methane, either way you get sludge that needs to be dried, then it can be turned into fertilizer, the water that's left needs aerobic bacteria processing, then tertiary treatment to make it drinkable, after it has been disinfected with chlorine. I have no idea how they plan to make this happen. It needs constant feeding for the bacteria to stay alive (consistent feeding)... Wastewater Treatment Plants are a NECESSITY.

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Don't forget that most sewage systems are designed for 'regular' flushing, meaning that if people flush too little, the sewers get flushed by the people in charge of it, reducing any water savings back to zero. To accommodate this the old sewer system also needs to get an overhaul.

G

Try to make them invest in a pipesystem first.
Else whats the point.
Use ur head Bill Gates

G

These people are too much. As if Tesla could have thrown a buch of money at alternating current and it would invent itself. Only the rich could get media coverage for something they haven't even done...ohh look money. Read mlopinto2k1's post. How about creating modular sewage treatment plants to ship drop to remote locations. Don't worry about powering a nation with waste, just make sure the thing can power itself. Then they will have a reason to pipe in a little infrastructure.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]It is crazy the amount of fresh water that is flushed daily, developing countries need this for sure, but from a conservationalist stance the us could stand for an update.As population grows, water will become more and more of a commodity and logistics nightmare.[/citation]
um... no?
watter in america wont become a problem... ever... for most people. there are some where a gas company leaks gas into water and it becomes flamable, but that is 1 in a few million chance.

realisticly, the quality of our watter will drop at some point, but it will still be more than drinkable.

and ever take a big s*** in a low flow toilet? i mean the kind of s*** that can clog a normal toilet on poo alone? if anything out toilets need more pressure, but use less watter, till than, it wont change.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I'm waiting until Toilet 7 to give them time to work out the bugs. Seriously though, I thought they already had this. It's called Vista.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Didnt he put Steve Balmer in charge.. I mean Microsoft has not been the same since Billy Boy left..

I heard Start it up from the Rolling Stones and it reminded me of Windows 95 when it first came out..

Windows 8 needs that me thinks... for a refresh :)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
He's trying WAAAAAY too hard! If he wants to reinvent the toilet, make one that flushes counter-clockwise, and patent the way the water swirls. DONE!

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]He's trying WAAAAAY too hard! If he wants to reinvent the toilet, make one that flushes counter-clockwise, and patent the way the water swirls. DONE![/citation]

They already do flush that way in the southern hemisphere.

I want the 3 shells and find out how they worked in Demolition man

kristian vanags

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Guys, Girls, you know what scares me the most....

Its overcrowing this world, i thin that if you can provide then you should be alowed to breed.

if your kids can provie the same rules apply.... we are getting crowded...

I also know that alot of people hate billy boy gates, however his wife has long been a pioneer of looking after poorer people, which i agree with...

I ask you.... if an african lady was raped by a man in her village, do you thin she should have an abortion or have the baby ?

should birth control be allowed... im pretty stupid by all acounts, but i think she should have the right to decide. i think what his wife is doing is great. i think that MS has given him a great chance to show how much he cares, but i also think they should start setralizing people who are incapable or provinding for their familys.

My son, burn to a crisp, proberly wont...

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]kristian vanags[/nom]i also think they should start setralizing people who are incapable or provinding for their familys.[/citation]

Not related to article but... As crude as it may sound to some people, I don't think it would be such a bad thing for countries in development.

And in developed countries, it should require a license / permit / audit before people would be allowed to give birth.

I mean, right now, if you're well educated, have a great job etc but you can't breed, and try to adopt a child to help out, they are pretty much going to do that to you... But a 14 year old gets knocked up by she don't know which one of the 3 she had and you have half the U.S. screaming "KEEP IT OR YOU'RE A MURDERER"...

Back to topic, I think a new toilet would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.