Billionaire Uses Laser to Thwart Paparazzi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeX

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Apparently this guy has never heard of film based cameras.

I highly doubt this will stop anything or anyone from taking pictures.

G

i bet he has robot butlers that double as assassins too. one minute they are shaking your martini, the next they are shaking you in the martini. your guests would consume the evidence and they get the rap. what an evil genius.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The problem should be tracked at the source, the tangible one at least, those who are willing to pay the paparazzi for such photos, magazines and web pages. Paparazzi themselves are just parasites who don't want to do anything better for the money, but it's their choice as long as people pay them.
Of course, if all could suddenly stop reading gossip magazines and web, it would be a better world, but that's shooting to the moon (lasers can do that :p)

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I sure am glad 99.99999% of the population makes absolutely nothing an hour, so lunatics such as this, living on the backs of the former, can protect the privacy they clearly don't deserve.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]I sure am glad 99.99999% of the population makes absolutely nothing an hour, so lunatics such as this, living on the backs of the former, can protect the privacy they clearly don't deserve.[/citation]
The world is not a zero-sum game. A person being wealthy does not mean that others are necessarily kept in abject poverty.

This "lunatic" was born to a fairly typical Russian family. His parents both died at an early age he was raised by his grandmother. In the early 80s, he made his first money selling black-market merchandise... not guns or drugs, but things like purfume, deodorant, blue jeans, etc. After the reforms of Gorbachev which allowed individuals to own private businesses, he started selling rubber ducks. Then he got into pig farms, then into stock trading and other investments.

The guy is not a criminal, he doesn't exploit or defraud people. He's just a very successful businessman. People like this, and Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, Sam Walton, and Michael Dell, and Ross Perot, etc., etc. are the people who make things happen in the world. Their endeavors have resulted, collectively, in millions of jobs (which in turn add prosperity to millions more), and contributed to wealth creation on an unprecedented scale.

Instead of parading your ignorance and jealousy, perhaps you should take some time to learn about economics and capitalism. In lieu of that, perhaps it would be best if you just keep your self-righteous indignation to yourself.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
He is Rrssian and also has that kind of a boat right..? I bet they could make his life till now a movie on how he made all that money. Would be really interesting on why he has that equipment if you ask me :)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
"Will it work vs Traffic light cameras?? i'm in for one if i can find it with a Cashback discount!!"
Yes,inexpensive LASER pointers especially mounted on a tripod with a targeting scope (riflescope,telescope) are quite effective at blinding (dazzling) annoying speed or stoplight traffic enforcement cameras.
LASER's and especially LASER attacks are so prevalent in my state in the U.S.A. that LASER's have gained a separate section in the criminal code.One would see murder,extortion,theft,kidnapping and indeed LASER's proudly have their own section under our criminal code.The lawmakers made a wonderful blunder though as it is only a misdemeanor to harass lawmakers or politicians with a LASER under our state law.Also the problem with the law is that it's extremely hard to catch a determined LASER attacker sniping from 60 miles away.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Must be a russian thing, here in america the paparazzi would care less about billionaires and stick with the celebrities and anybody related to Hollywood. I think Bill Gates is safe

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Missile Defense System....HMMMmmmmmSo it DEFENDS AGAINST missiles? or does it DEFEND WITH missiles?I know what I would chose. Fight missiles with bigger missiles.[/citation]
You, sir, sound like a General from the Cold War era.
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]That's okay. All the pirates will find the small thermal exhaust port on the stern of the ship.[/citation]
ha

I like big expensive boats.
I like lasers.
I like missiles.
I like missile-proof armor.
I fucking love this guy.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Meaning the focusing assist light? I don't see how someone can detect the metering sensor or the CMOS sensor itself from afar. Even than, on a bright day, focusing assist light is auto disabled.[/citation]

I'm guessing it can detect infrared and then aims a slightly spread beam towards it. All they'd get is a picture of a red glow.

G

@Arglebargle: "This yacht is the forth in 42-yer-old Abramovich's fleet." - What is this, pirate-speak?

That made me LOL :) I know Americans like to drop their "u"s in words like coloUr and armoUr, but "fourth" is still spelled the same way in both sides of the Atlantic for all I know!

Thurin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
"...billionaire Russian oligarchRoman Abramovich..." A space between oligarch and Roman

"Currently it's parked in a German shipyard.." Parked or docked?

No offense intended, but it seems to me that the quality of the recent articles, language and grammar used in these articles is appalling...

I hope that in the future Toms will tell their staff to at least look a spelling checker or something to make the articles a little more professional..

The more time passes the more I am starting to see the point of all these members who feel that the quality of news and articles on Toms is deteriorating.

This is not good.

Anyhow.. all in all a weird article and I hope that we go back to the quality we are used to from the past.

My two cents,

Mike.

PS: This post was not intended to insult anyone, just to remind you all of what Toms is and once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.