Solved! BIOS and cpu compatibility

Jan 4, 2019
Can i replace my laptops i5 2410m cpu with i7 2860qm?
Even if the socket matches, i have heard that BIOS also needs to support the new cpu, but i have trouble finding information about which cpu`s my BIOS supports.

If it isn`t compatible - which is the best cpu i can upgrade my laptop to?
Its a Dell Latitute E5420.

Solution
You could try contacting support, but they may not be of much help, depending on your luck.

I wouldn't recommend swapping with that cpu, because the 2860qm is a true quad core, while your current is a dual core. The quad will draw more power, as well as put out more heat - heat that the current cpu cooler wouldn't keep up with, causing thermal throttling, thus losing performance anyway.

The I7 2640m would be your best bet. It's the fastest of those dual cores... which isn't saying much, as it's max turbo clock, 3.5ghz, isn't a whole lot faster than your current cpu's max, at 2.90ghz - a difference of .60ghz. You may not notice the improvement in your everyday tasks.

Phaaze88

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
You could try contacting support, but they may not be of much help, depending on your luck.

I wouldn't recommend swapping with that cpu, because the 2860qm is a true quad core, while your current is a dual core. The quad will draw more power, as well as put out more heat - heat that the current cpu cooler wouldn't keep up with, causing thermal throttling, thus losing performance anyway.

The I7 2640m would be your best bet. It's the fastest of those dual cores... which isn't saying much, as it's max turbo clock, 3.5ghz, isn't a whole lot faster than your current cpu's max, at 2.90ghz - a difference of .60ghz. You may not notice the improvement in your everyday tasks.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

Thank you for your answer. I wasn`t really sure how much additional heat the 10W TDP increase would generate. I have considered the i7 2640m, but really was looking for something more.
Anyway, it`s a pretty old laptop.

Thank you for the answer and your opinion. Much appreciated.