Bios displays different GPU than the one from device management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
Hello,

Since I bought my laptop, I've had issues with the GPU.

I accepted the fact that since it's a laptop (a rather expensive one though), it is not great for gaming.

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, according to what I bought, and Device Management. This card should have a Maxwell architecture.

But when I load up my BIOS and look under general information, it tells me the current dGPU is a NVIDIA GF108.

I did some research, and it appears that the latter one is a simple GPU, not with Maxwell, but with Fermi architecture.

Is this normal?

Apart from that, my GPU doesn't perform well in general. I've tried playing Fortnite, worked with Blender (3D modelling software), and plenty other non graphics intense games, like Don't Starve, Age Of Empires II,... All of these make my laptop heat up really bad, and playing Fortnite sometimes causes my pc to shut down. I'm not sure but I don't think it should be this bad.

My laptop is a dell Inspiron 17-1779 2-in-1.
I study engineering in computersciences, so I should know a thing or two, but this has bothered me for a while.

Things I've done:
- everything with drivers (fresh installs, older versions, ...)
- played with the settings in the nividia configuration panel (lower the settings for Fortnite for example)
- googled the heck out of it

Thank you, I hope this is worth reviewing. If it's not, let me know.

Lutfij

Splendid
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop? What sort of in-game details/settings are you working with? Since you're working with Windows 10, on the GUI side of things, take a look at what your system resource usages shows in Task Manager.

Aug 8, 2018
Thank you for your quick answer.

I just updated my bios. No difference can be seen.
I used the graph overview in the taskmanager to look at suspicious behaviour. First of all, my CPU overclocks at 3.4 GHz, while 2.8 GHz should be max (I know Intel overclocks). I have two processors, but there are 4, probably 2 virtual ones. They all run at max potential (100%). The GPU only reaches 14%, with spikes up to 80, which slowly go back down (due to buffering probably).

Everything lowest setting by the way. That way it doesn't crash.

The BIOS still shows NVIDIA GF108 after update btw.

Thank you again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.