Bios flash to unlock voltages

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
2 radeon 5870's the fan failed on one of them and i decided to use XFX's great warranty and send it back. i got a new card but the new card was a version with locked voltages and less OC ability. the card has a fan in the center and no back plate where as my original and second card in my system have the fan on the end and a back plate.

is the voltage lock on this card software or hardware? would a bios flash to another brand or another version of XFX card open this up for over clocking?

I will never buy another XFX card.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
yes often they will not repair YOUR card but give you a equilivent or better repaired one, they will then repair your card and it will go out to someone else.

otherwise the RMA process would be months long instead of weeks.

yes OC'ing does void warranties.

so does removing the stock cooler.

this is not XFX specific. applies to all brands.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i understand OC and removal of cooler is a warrenty issue. thats not my issue here... my issue is that they gave me a weaker card, with less features, no back plate, and a flimsy heat sink that blows half the hot air back into my damn case....

There is no reason in my mind to buy a XFX as there warranty is there only selling point and if they dont replace cards with exact models or at least ask you if its ok to get a different card then i dont want anything to do with them. I would have prefered to keep the card as is, screw there warrenty, buy a AC heat sink or a water block to add the card to my LC loop. the cards were not even over clocked when the fan failed and a fan failure has nothing to do with OC, its just a heat sink failure... but now the 5870's are at a point where they are getting slow and i want to boost performance.

does anyone know how XFX voltage locks there cards?