Status
Not open for further replies.

Wnc Bassman

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
My BIOS doesn't list my HDD as bootable, its like it doesn't see the HDD. SATA is enabled in advanced settings. I tried to do a clean install of Vista..Vista says I need a device Driver, so I researched and think I have the correct driver but its an executable file which I saved to USB flash drive, so during install when it asked for Device Driver I would have it...but when I browse for it during the install it doesn't list the driver. how can i get my driver installed to the BIOS if I can't even get the OS installed..or how can I get this driver installed so I can get the OS installed?

(its an old machine, I know, but its free to me if I can fix it)

Compaq Presario sr5023wm
RX895AA

Motherboard m2n68

Solution
Drivers have nothing to do with devices being recognized and listed in the BIOS. Drivers are for support of hardware within the operating system.

If the drive isn't recognized in the BIOS, and it has both the SATA cable and power cables attached as well as being attached to the motherboard, you either have a bad cable, a failed drive or a problem with the PSU.

Try connecting the cable from the drive to a different SATA header on the motherboard. Try a different cable. Try a different SATA power cable from the PSU. You can run Seatools for DOS to check the drive, but only if you can get it to be recognized in the BIOS.

There could also be a problem with the storage controller on the motherboard. I'd try a different drive as well, to...
Drivers have nothing to do with devices being recognized and listed in the BIOS. Drivers are for support of hardware within the operating system.

If the drive isn't recognized in the BIOS, and it has both the SATA cable and power cables attached as well as being attached to the motherboard, you either have a bad cable, a failed drive or a problem with the PSU.

Try connecting the cable from the drive to a different SATA header on the motherboard. Try a different cable. Try a different SATA power cable from the PSU. You can run Seatools for DOS to check the drive, but only if you can get it to be recognized in the BIOS.

There could also be a problem with the storage controller on the motherboard. I'd try a different drive as well, to see if it's recognized using the same cable and power used currently for the unrecognized drive. If it IS recognized, it's likely the drive has failed.

Mechanical drives only have a rated life expectancy of five years. Sometimes less, often much more, but that's what most drive manufacturers say is average. Most last longer than that but it's not uncommon to have one die at any point between three and seven years.

Solution

Wnc Bassman

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the answers I am gonna try these out. Hoping the harddrive hasn't failed. I got this from my Uncle who used the PC for about 6months, it crashed, he never tried fixing it, or doing anything else. He just left it sitting there untouched for the last several years. During a visit he asked if I wanted it, so he could clear some space. I said sure..and here we are.

Will update with further questions or hopefully what the solution was asap. Thanks again.

Wnc Bassman

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
Switched SATA Cable and power cable to another SATA header on the Motherboard. Still no luck.

What I find as odd (Which may not matter) is that even though BIOS doesn't see my HD, when I try to install Vista it shows my HD but says it isn't bootable and I need to load the driver.

I don't have another HD to try at the moment but I suppose I could get a HD or additional cables to try. Just trying to avoid that if there is another fix. But based on the answers above I am guessiing not.

Feeling like a newb here...:(

Actually, if the drive is recognized in the Vista install routine, it should be seen in the BIOS. Check the BIOS to see if there are options for compatibility support module or Secure boot. If there are disable secure boot or enable compatibility support module (Legacy mode) and save settings then boot back into the BIOS and see if it's recognized.

Wnc Bassman

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
I might try that if I can save the original harddrive with it...:)

I decided to pick up another HD and try that. I got one from a local PC shop for just a few bucks. 500gb for 20 bucks seemed good enough to me. (Its used). Didn't want to spend any more loot until I found out if it was just the harddrive or not.

Fresh Install of OS is occuring right now, we will see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for their input, glad I found this site, folks are friendly and full of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.