Bios option Boot Mode greyed out, can't change to Legacy; setting supervisor password doesn't help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raizekas

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
Hi, I'm trying to reinstall windows on Acer Aspire ES1-533 and I can't boot to usb, because UEFI boot mode is selected and I can't swap it to Legacy, as Boot Mode option is just greyed out. I've tried checking some information on the internet, it suggested to set a supervisor password, did that, saved and exit, restarted to bios again and now only Secure Boot is not greyed out (it was before), but the Boot Mode is still greyed out. Tried swapping values of Secure Boot to both enabled/disabled and restarting the PC to get to BIOS again, but the Boot Mode is still greyed out. I'm really puzzled of what to do to be able to swap to Legacy mode.

Raizekas

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

I've posted a thread on Acer forum, but still no reply (although, I've only posted it today), I'll try to see if I can contact them directly. I will try checking for BIOS update, but wouldn't I need to boot from USB to do the BIOS update, will that allow me? Well, I'll try and see if that helps.

Edit: I didn't need to boot to update the BIOS, the version is now up-to date, but the same problem remains. I'll try contacting Acer support, but any help here is still appreciated, maybe some suggestions will work.

Another question: would it be able to install Windows 10 through UEFI boot and what would be the pros/cons of it?

Aug 10, 2019
Hello, I recently had this issue also while swapping hard drives on a Toshiba laptop. Turns out that the secure boot option also found in the bios caused this. I'm not sure if it's the same for other laptops but worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.