BioWare: We Can't Fix Tiny Text on Your TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I really don't think that Bioware should have to worry about it. I think that most people that play xbox 360 probably have an hdtv or pc monitor that they could play on....

Ghaz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I really don't think that Bioware should have to worry about it. I think that most people that play xbox 360 probably have an hdtv or pc monitor that they could play on....[/citation]
That's a tad ignorant thing to say. My girlfriend plays 360 and we are students, we couldn't afford an HDTV. I know many people in this situation. Just because your lifestyle and the people you know can, doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
For the most part I agree, but the lack of a warning or min display spec on the box is pretty sloppy. When I was in the industry, this was one of the things we tested for.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Ghaz[/nom]That's a tad ignorant thing to say. My girlfriend plays 360 and we are students, we couldn't afford an HDTV. I know many people in this situation. Just because your lifestyle and the people you know can, doesn't mean it applies to everyone.[/citation]

If you can afford Bioshock2 then you can afford a used 19" monitor; they're pretty much the same price nowdays.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They should offer a option to change font size (like offer a slider where a user can control the size)

the text can easily be changed as it is not hard coded into the game, in many games you can even edit the text and font and font size, with mass effect you may need to use a hex editor to change some of the text as it is all stored in many different random dat files instead of a cfg file or some other format that can easily be edited, the only hard part is adding the option menu section where a user can select a text size that will require access to the original source code (the game developers can easily add this feature as a patch for the game)

G

If you can't afford a HDTV (and I'm not even saying a Full HD), you better NOT have a 360.
That's the reason I will first of all buy my HDTV (after my house been reformed) and THEN buy a 360.
AND nowadays HDTVs aren't expesive as they were in some time ago...
Ditto.
(Just to state: in my case it ISN'T lack of money the reason...)
lol

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Well you can always buy the 360 VGA cable and hook it up to your monitor to play...

Thats what I used to use before I got my HDTV, I found it much more enjoyable playing 360 games on my 22" monitor than my 32" Standard Definition TV, you lose so much detail on the SDTV it really defeats the entire purpose of having a 360 (or a PS3).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I noticed with a few games on my brothers old CRT on the 360 I couldn't read a damned thing, so I just grabbed my Xbox VGA cable and plugged it into the monitor.

It is a problem, and not everyone wants to buy a new TV, so font size should be decided on what video output option is selected (1080p/i, 720p, 480p etc.).

Can't exactly afford to buy my brother a new TV just so he can read what the hell people are saying...

weepee

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
so people can afford to buy a $300 or even more system, but cannot afford a 19" HDTV for $250? or even a monitor with a HDMI input for less then $200?? it sucks for those people but maybe they should have bought an up to date TV before buying an up to date gaming console.

G

so you don't have the money to get the hardware, but you spend $40+ on each game, or you only get 1 game and playit for 3 years ?

get a PC you can always get free games or really cheap

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Who cares about SDTV gamers? Almsot everything is HD now and why would you get an 360 if you cant use the HD? But hell if you spend 60 a year on live then go buy a TV!

I see there isnt a complain from PC ppl ;)

Im glad Bioware isnt gonna patch it, devs shouldnt have to dumb down a game to compencate for consoles or SDTV users.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Good for them. It's time to move on. If you paid $250 or more for an Xbox 360, you shouldn't be a cheap *** and leave it connected to a $40 TV.[/citation]

That would be a good idea apart from the fact i paid $2000 dollars (equivalent threof) for my toshiba strata tv 5 years ago, for 95% of what I use it for its totally fine, I really dont need to watch the news in HD, the inbuilt speakers are far better than any flatpanel speakers will ever be and it doesnt suffer as badly under strong light as many flat panels do, to top it off the picture quality and colour reproduction is generally better than a lot of cheapo 'hd; tvs....

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]theramman[/nom]Who cares about SDTV gamers? Almsot everything is HD now and why would you get an 360 if you cant use the HD? But hell if you spend 60 a year on live then go buy a TV!I see there isnt a complain from PC ppl Im glad Bioware isnt gonna patch it, devs shouldnt have to dumb down a game to compencate for consoles or SDTV users.[/citation]

If thats the attitude, then the xbox shouldnt have an SD option at all, but then youd be screwed if you wanted to take it anywhere you didnt have a hdtv.

For the record I bought my 360 becuase it was cheaper and better featured than any wireless media streamer on the market at the time, and HDTV's were prohibitively expensive £1000+ for anything remotely decent. I realise they're much cheaper these days, but I shouldn't have to pay £40 + £600 just to make one game playable.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
The argument that "if you can afford the 360 and a game then you can afford a 19" monitor" is stupid. First, why would someone want to go out and buy a 19" screen when they already have a perfectly good 32" set in front of their couch? That's money that could be spent on another game! (or five)

That directly leads me to my 2nd point. Why downgrade in size so much? I see so many ignorant tv buyers say things like, "I'd definitely take a smaller screen for better resolution." Do you realize that no one in the history of the world has ever installed their tv and muttered the comment, "I wish I had gone smaller." Too small of a tv is often an issue. I'm not sure why someone would want to connect their XB360 to a 19" screen so they have to sit two feet away slouched over in their little wooden chair.

Sitting back eight feet while lounging on a couch gives a much better experience. I say all large screen SDTV users SHOULD be upset about this. What a great oversight by the game maker.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Well you can always buy the 360 VGA cable and hook it up to your monitor to play...Thats what I used to use before I got my HDTV, I found it much more enjoyable playing 360 games on my 22" monitor than my 32" Standard Definition TV, you lose so much detail on the SDTV it really defeats the entire purpose of having a 360 (or a PS3).[/citation]

When using that VGA cable, did the XBOX detect your monitors native resolution? I'm assuming 1680x1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.