Bitdefender Free or Kaspersky Free

Solution
Like full Kaspersky concerning the realtime protection and file scans. You just don't get any extras, like Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Banner, Secure Payment and so on. And it reminds you that you could buy the full version once every time you start it (so once per system boot).

Performance-wise it's neat, and it does it's job.

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I have to disagree. Kaspersky Free for example uses the same AV engine as the paid Kaspersky AV/Internet Security, and that engine is a lot better than Windows Defender, which can only be understood as a basic security measure.

I use Kaspersky Free on my secondary PC myself and I'm quite happy with it, but I've never tried Bitdefender Free, so I can't give you a comparison.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Bitdefender has the highest rating out there (be careful when reading antivirus reviews as many if not most are nothing more than disguised advertisements). I have been using the full payware version of Kaspersky for years on three PCs and for my junky general use laptop the freeware version of Avast.

Never just trust one anti-virus, and always run both an AV and anti-malware program like Ad-Aware (note that they are separate programs....you cannot run two AV software programs at the same time without big issues). And regarding the other guy's opinion, I'd trust Microsoft's security in Windows 10 about as far as I could throw a horse.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Windows Defender to me it just sitting there and do nothing lol.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

How is the kaserspsky free?

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Like full Kaspersky concerning the realtime protection and file scans. You just don't get any extras, like Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Banner, Secure Payment and so on. And it reminds you that you could buy the full version once every time you start it (so once per system boot).

Performance-wise it's neat, and it does it's job.

Solution