Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfas Mulaffer

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
My external harddisk has bitlocker and I know the password but I don't remember whether I saved the recovery key or not. Now it is asking for recovery key.
I use windows 7 and I formatted the windows yesterday and reinstalld it I don't know if is because of that!
Can anyone help me please?

Solution

Yes it's because you formatted the system, you deleted your encryptoin keys. Unless you made a recovery key whatever is encrypted is gone. You NEED to read the encryption instructions before using it, it's not something to pay with lightly, it WILL make you not able to get to your data unless you pay attention to what you are doing with it. Like formatting and re-installing Windows without backing up the keys.

Yes it's because you formatted the system, you deleted your encryptoin keys. Unless you made a recovery key whatever is encrypted is gone. You NEED to read the encryption instructions before using it, it's not something to pay with lightly, it WILL make you not able to get to your data unless you pay attention to what you are doing with it. Like formatting and re-installing Windows without backing up the keys.

Solution

Cici Wilson

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
Tom, when you say "backing up the keys" is that the same as a system backup? I have not done that or back-ed up anything. Could changes in the network domain I log into to at work or when I work remotely have affected my ability to get into my system via the hospital network? I have never worked with Bitlocker encryption before and am not a programmer. I am a nurse working on an electronic health record.

Please start your own post about your issue. In either case, without listing the exact issue, there is no way to know if it's an encryption issue. Your computer support where your work needs to sort thngs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.