black screen Asus q200E

jmk1815

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Hi I recently purchased an Asu q200e. around Xmas.. Anyways I turn it on and it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor.. The reason behind this I think has something that I did 2 days ago. I tried to do a system restore and I don't think it did it successfully. The only thing I can get into is my bios.. I cannot get it to boot from usb.. Please help. I could careless about anything on the computer

A cursor as in a pointer? Or a "cursor" as in a blinking line? (A mouse pointer indicates Windows has started, but is hung up on booting. A blinking line indicates that your computer isn't booting Windows, which could mean that there is either a problem with your Windows installation or your boot device.)

Do you happen to have a Windows repair disc/disk? Or a backup of Asus' factory recovery?

jmk1815

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
It is a mouse pointer.
I have a recovery image, on cd but no cd drive. I also have a recovery image on a thumb drive. But I cannot access the usb. The bios doesn't even have usb under boot options. Someone said to update the bios, but I can't do that because I can't get the usb recognized. I'm lossed

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
did you put a straight .iso on a flash drive and thats what you are trying to use? you have to make it bootable, mount the image, extract the files then put them on the bootable drive. i male bootable drives in command prompt
open prompt as admim
type diskpart
list vol
select vol (volume number of your flash drive, not drive letter)
active
exit
this brings you out of dispart but leaves the admin cmd open. leave it open
make a folder in the root of your c drive, extract ths image files to this folder (mount iso, open image, copy/paste contents to root folder)
now copy/paste those files to the flash drive. you need those files in the root folder too, thats why copy/paste x2
command prompt type
cd..
cd..
you should now be C:\ if. not then cd.. till you are. two periods
now type
cd (name of folder you put files in)
like mine would look like
cd pirated windows disk
then type
cd boot
should look like
C:\pirated windows disk\boot
pretend a moment that you flashdrive is E Drive, now type
BOOTSECT /NT60 E:
replace e with drive letter of your flash drive.
nt60 is for windows 7. i dont remeber if its diff for diff versons of windows. i got like a little rememberance of it being differint i think maybe. who knows.
exit out everything. safely eject flash drive and youre good to go. you have the f12 boot menu on right? all these diff bios have diff settings. and ya if efiwhatever need to turn legacy on. possibly turn OFF safeboot. should work now

Testeraccount

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
This is due to a windows update. I'm not sure which one, but one of them does not agree with the computer. Kinda sucks because I'm trying to get it ready for windows 10 but have been unable to....

Testeraccount

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
The way I got it to get past the black screen is to turn on all of the auto windows updates, and just let it sit for a day. The screen went black but just let it set rather than try to recover, and it fixed itself... I know not very helpful for the issue, but an easy solution...