Black screen diagnosis help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terito

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hey all, so I have a lovely laptop that has the black screen of failing.

When I turn it on, I can see display using an external monitor, I also can see the display very faintly if I shine a flashlight at it.

I don't know much about the difference between the inverter failing or it being the CCFL bulb? That's what I'm trying to determine. If the inverter is failing I think I can replace that myself, if its the bulb I'm looking at just buying a new screen entirely.

What got me curious was a few facts I found about CCFL bulbs failing:

1) they are rated for 50,000 hours - I know thats an average, but my laptop is a year and a half old. I'm at roughly 2,000 hours. And I didnt drop it or do anything I can think of that may have damaged anything....

2) Common symptoms of CCFL failing are the corners of the screen being dim, hues especially whites being off color, the screen not being as bright as usual, and NONE of these have I seen or experienced.

It was a black screen for a few days, I played with it a lot to no avail, and the next day the screen worked fine again for 2 days, now it just died again, so I am really trying to get to the botom of it, ty in advance for your time!

Solution
Hi, I also agree with mcnumpty23, one of the component on the inverter board is at

the end of his life. What you can check is the connections of the inverter board.

Maybe it's a loose connection, it is worth trying before replacing.

Terito

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Man I really appreciate the help, gave you best answer because of the addt'l tip to double check that connection, has fixed my screen fully, we will see how longit holds up, but thx to both of you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.