black screen wont boot bios failure

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
I have a Hp pavillion dv4-5113 notebook with a bios caps lock flash error code (2 times). It was very hard to boot it. I used a usb keyboard and after a lot of tries I got the advanced options menu as the machine had an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 free and tried to reset it, tried to access safemode, it failed. Tried automatic repair, got in a never ending loop . Also tried start up menu to roll back the bios but it failed.
The last time I got lucky and got desktop but Win system applications were malfuctioning like device manager. I got a bios update in a usb pen drive and tried to flash it . It looked that is was working but after that I got a restart loop that lasted for one a half hours. I was tired and mad and took out the battery because the notebook wont shutdown...mistake. Now I got a black screen , it wont boot and it wont turn off, it keeps turning on also the HDD led is amber and always on. I went to the support page and it looks that the 3d drive guard got activated but following all the procedures on the support page to disable it wont work. Finally now the caps lock flashes only one time showing a possible cpu malfuction. Is it the cpu, mother board or bios chip? Please help and sorry for my bad writing.

Good day.

Solution
I used very cheap heatgun from china : GJ-8018 it has LCD and some options for temperature. It was decent when i had to remove chips (bios chips, capacitors and resistors, not BGA chips) from the board, but make sure to buy multiple nozzles with decent sizes. It was about 30 euros. More professional reflow you need a station which is expensive.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
0.1% chance its the cpu. 1 beep code can tell about gpu and bios failure also. These dv4 dv5 dv6 laptops are notorious about gpu failing onboard. Reflow fixes it for awhile and then it fails again. You might try it.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you Mr. Fagetti for your reply but since the last thing I did was a bios flash
Do you think there is the problem?
Im looking for a heat gun to reflux another machine, I will try it with this dv4. What about the hdd amber light
Do you think its a sign of a bad morher board?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
dv4-dv5-dv6 series can give 2 blinks and its failing gpu. You could still try reprogram bios chip you need spi programmer Search for ebay this word : ch341a
you can can one for 2-3 euros including posts from china. If you are not good in soldering then put search ch341a soic clip
With soic clip you can connect to bios chip without needing to solder chip off board. I can help you search file for it if you get it

You could try mild reflow first on gpu and northbridge. Just use 150c not more dont go overboard, remmeber to remove all stickers from motherbaord and ofcourse cmos battery before reflowing. You could use alminum tape to cover components near chip, just press it firmly so no air can pass underneath to capacitors example like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFErQh4Hdsw

If you try with 150c ... (ENOUGH distance from chip dont burn it) you could get it working for awhile and that would suggest problem is inside chip and not in solder underneath chip. Practise 190c-200c reflow with dead boards if you want to... if you hear popping noise its goner, you get small bubbles in surface of chip meaning its blown.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Try everything you can on bios recovery with usb stick and search google if that wont work then below:

If you can use soldering iron then : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xch341a.TRS0&_nkw=ch341a&_sacat=0

If you dont want to remove bios chip then with clip : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ch341a+soic+clip&_sop=12

Upload high resolution pictures of motherboard both sides if you can so we can locate bios chip,
you can also try mild reflow 150c before ordering one, i can help you find gpu chip and northbridge if this model has

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Helllo again Sir.
Thats great info you provided. The ch341 is a great tool. Ill buy it as soon as possible but since its a friends laptop I think I will clip it just to be more safe and will practice the disolder on another board.

I have some pics of the board that I took but I think maybe the bios is near the gpu and I dont have those. I have this link of the board with an image but is not high res. Ill get the pics and send them to you as soon as I can .

Thanx brohttp://
Code:

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
If you only have soldering iron with single tip this is the only way without breaking the chips legs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMmG3NuM9U
But you need to be careful when those little components can fly off with solder when doing it.
Maybe better to test dead boards first, using heatgun is possible also but you need more experience with it not to break motherboard or lift other components.

Most cheap way is to buy 2 euro ch341 and do it this way so you lose nothing basically if it wont work. If you dont want to risk it then buy with clip, but remebmber this might not be the solution.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
I need high resolution pictures of motherboard.. upload them somewhre please. Get isoprophyl alcohol 80% or more, this is good after removing chip and adding more solder with soldering iron you can clean it with wipes + isoprophyl alcohol.

Dip q-tip into isoprophyl alcohol and scratch gently suspected bios chip with this q-tip. This will reveal chips model number, you need to look it with some magnifier like magnifying glass when doing this. bios chip has 8 legs

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Thanx Mr. Fagetti.
I have some pics of the mother board. Ill try to send them tonight.

If they are not of use
Ill dismantle again the machine and take new ones.

Do you have an email or a way I can send them? If not Ill understamd and will find anotherway to post them.

Thanx for your help.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Its better you upload here so everyone can see where bios chip is for this model if they want to know.
Press Post an answer and there is more options,

Use this site : http://imgbb.com/
Upload picture there and from links select "BBCOde full link" copy it and select picture and copy this "bbcode full link" there, then preview to see if it shows

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Here !

I took this for my repair file but I wasnt looking for the bios chip. Could it be at the back of the rtc battery? There are similar chips there in the full mb pic. If is not there as soon as I dismantle the machjne again Il post them.

Thanx