Blu-ray Could Be Coming to iTunes, iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
We’re waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off before we burden our customers with the cost of licensing.

Steve Jobs

Since when was the customer's budget a concern for you??

ubernoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
omg the apple is emitting blue rays of light! that makes all the other apples jealous. anyways does this mean apple products that support blue ray will cost 500 dollars premium once they are out?

G

Apple Tech has been next gen for a while now. For example they had the "nehalem" xeon processors in their mac pros before any other computer manufacturer.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Hopefully they also add 5.1 surround support. I'm really sick of that being excluded from affordable player software.[/citation]

If they add BluRay to their line then they will throw in cheap/free 5.1 surround support and treat it like the rest of their multi-media. If you don't have the hardware to run it, then why produce the software for the general consumer? They do have 5.1, but you need Logic Pro which is high-end software.

Apple took their time getting BR to the consumer, but then how many consumers really want/need BR? Especially on their PCs? The media is still pricey, and I am unwilling to pay the extra cash for BR movies. I will pay the money for a killer movie like Hellboy II, but not for a Woody Allen flick. I am probably not alone here.

Quad cores and high-end GPUs? As suggested above check out the Mac Pro. Apple has been offering quad cores for some time now, and you have always been able to upgrade your graphics in Mac Pros...if you want to buy a $1200 OpenCL graphics card you can. Or spend more if you want...ATI and nVidia do sell the cards. With Snow Leopard coming out there will be even more options available...especially for high-end workstation graphics.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I do not care about blu-ray and will never pay the inflated BS prices for a player or a disc.
I buy DVD and own a decent OPP 1080p upsampling player with a panasonic 42" plasma.My movies look good enough.
no thanks sony

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
The consumer price for a blu-ray drive is about $50 now. Let's just see how much Apple rips their customers on this one ...

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I think you will see this (Blue Ray) announced at the news conference with the Snow Leapard release. There also could be the tablet/netbook Mac too. September, October is a couple big months for software. OS X and Windows out with new OSs and there are a couple big game titles too. Dragon Age is in my cross-hairs, my gaming rig is itching for it.
As for Blue Ray on computers right now it is not a big deat, I see no need and have no desire for it. External Hard Drives are cheap and real cheap if you buy a external case and put your own together. Much more space for backing up. I think the only people wanting Blue Ray are movie enthusiasts.
Too expensive, my PS3 upscales any DVD movie to 1080P and looks about as good as Blue Ray for less. Bring the prices down you greedy bastards.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@ back_by_demand
I love how Apple haters always try and point out Macs are expensive. If you ever took the time to match components of a Mac system (any) to another retailer like Dell or Sony you will quickly find out Macs are not way overpriced. I will admit they are a little more (sometimes less depending on what one you are comparing) but not like you types try to say. The little extra cost is worth it for such nice design and then there is OS X that is the bomb. I was hooked after my first Mac back when Panther was out. Converted to Unix base, OS X and Linux and have not looked back. One home built computer has XP on it to play games and that is it.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Fair play, come on guys, we have to admit that Quad Core and high end GPU's have been available on Mac's for quiet some time.[/citation]

Apple does sell quads but not in the iMac that this article is referring to. The Apple site shows only dual cores for the iMac on their site. And NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 are the 2 best cards you can get from each maker. While the 4850 is a new chip and has decent performence I wouldnt call it "high-end".. I sure as shit wouldnt buy on though, even with blu-ray support.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]"But they still won't have quad cores or high end GPUs. "The Mac Pro has a Quad or two Quad, plus decent graphics options.http://store.apple.com/us/browse/h [...] o=MjI5MDE1[/citation]
This is the iMac we are talking about in the article, not the Mac Pro.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]@ back_by_demand I love how Apple haters always try and point out Macs are expensive. If you ever took the time to match components of a Mac system (any) to another retailer like Dell or Sony you will quickly find out Macs are not way overpriced. [/citation]

People here wont compare an Apple to a Dell or Sony. They will compare it to a homebuilt pc. Probably a lot like the ones they are running at home.. Which probably has similiar components to an Apple, but cost them about half as much..

pandarus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
HP Pavilion e9150t is the same specs as your Mac Pro but it has double the memory *it is missing the bluetooth* and it is $849...

Status
Not open for further replies.