Blu ray disc explanation

AyyLmao22

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
I have kind of a broad question about 4k content. I'm looking to buy a 4k tv I've done as much research as I could and came to the conclusion of getting the Sony XBR55x930e. All fine and dandy. Now my confusion is a 4k blu ray player. Many in the <$400 range I noticed say 4k upscaling. Now does that mean that they "just" take regular blu rays and upscale to 4k? Do they play actual uhd 4k blu ray discs or do I need the more expensive blu ray players to do those? A quick run down on 4k blu ray discs and perhaps recommendations on uhd blu ray players for the price would be appreciated.

Solution
It means that if you play a non UHD disc it will up convert the video to 4k.
Whether it or the TV will do a better job is the question? If you have the option to turn that off in the BD player menu you can try it and find out which is better.
The most important thing is that the player does HDR which is much more of an improvement than 4k (especially in in a 55" TV). Can't comment on which player in that range is better. I suspect there won't be a big difference but maybe a Sony will integrate with the TV for control purposes better than another brand.
It means that if you play a non UHD disc it will up convert the video to 4k.
Whether it or the TV will do a better job is the question? If you have the option to turn that off in the BD player menu you can try it and find out which is better.
The most important thing is that the player does HDR which is much more of an improvement than 4k (especially in in a 55" TV). Can't comment on which player in that range is better. I suspect there won't be a big difference but maybe a Sony will integrate with the TV for control purposes better than another brand.

Solution