swampydrill

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have a VGN FW11M sony laptop that recently had to get repaired out of warranty, i had to have a new hard drive installed, trouble is a lot of software was pre-installed and now i have no blu ray software to work the Bluray DVD rom unles i pay Sony £50 for a new software bundle, is there any software i can download free of charge so i can at least watch movies etc or do i have to bite the bullet and pay, the hard drive failed a month out of warranty and that was after Sony had fixed it once, won't be buying anothe rone for sure.

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

Any reason why is that the case? Is Blu-ray playback some kind of licensed thing? A link to an article explaining that would be nice.

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

I still see no laws that forbid programming such player.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

In the US it falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), which prohibits bypassing encryption. Blu-ray discs are all encrypted, and the encryption keys available for download have been cracked, which is also illegal in most countries.

Now that I have said that, do not get me started on Fair Use and how this restricts it in the US. . .

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

How does the paid software get to decrypt the content then?