Blue Microphones Snowball USB or Blue Microphones Yeti USB for 10 year old

Ruready4pain

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
My son is recording his games on a pvr rocket capture card and for some reason prefers to do voice over commentary's after the video has been recorded on Sony Vegas and pretends his actually playing it in realtime. His been currently using a SteelSeries H Wireless Gaming headset as the mic. I think he saw youtubers using a mic not headset, now he wants a decent mic. Now the kid is only ten years but for some reason I feel this is turning into something or could be big so don't want to cheat him out on getting a good mic. So should I get the snowball or yeti, I spent so much on that wireless headset already ($300) but he does use it for everything from wireless to wired headset on tablets and gaming, and I spent $150 on the pvr rocket. Technically its a $50 difference, so Snowball ($60) or Yeti ($109)?

Just to add he goes to the roof outside (roof has outdoor sitting and furniture if you were wondering) to record because it is to loud in our tiny apartment with people talking over him. I heard the snowball picks up and maybe to sensitive?

Solution
The Yeti has a variety of options available and is generally regarded as one of the best Mics around for USB interface. It offers directional, omnidirectional, bidirectional and stereo audio patterns by changing the settings.

Picking up background audio isn't an issue, as long as the gain for the primary speaker is sufficiently larger than that of the background audio. Both versions of the Snowball offer Cardioid (directional) audio to help mitigate this. The more expensive ($60 instead of $50) model offers the ability to enable omnidirectional audio as well.

If he is just doing commentary, either model would be fine.

If he ever intends to have a second person doing commentary with him (or do live commentary where it is picking up...

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
The Yeti has a variety of options available and is generally regarded as one of the best Mics around for USB interface. It offers directional, omnidirectional, bidirectional and stereo audio patterns by changing the settings.

Picking up background audio isn't an issue, as long as the gain for the primary speaker is sufficiently larger than that of the background audio. Both versions of the Snowball offer Cardioid (directional) audio to help mitigate this. The more expensive ($60 instead of $50) model offers the ability to enable omnidirectional audio as well.

If he is just doing commentary, either model would be fine.

If he ever intends to have a second person doing commentary with him (or do live commentary where it is picking up keyboard and mouse sounds: a popular option in the pro-gamer circles, less so in the let's play or casual commentary circles), the yeti is better as it will allow more control than simple omnidirectional or monodirectional audio.

Solution