dedline

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hey guys,

So here is my problem. I currently am using a ps3 to play bluray movies and currently have a 5.1 surround set up with onkyo reciever and speakers. I also have a Samsung plasma tv. If you need product numbers let me know.

My problem is my reciever has 2 fiber optic outputs a hdmi in and hdmi out. The hdmi does not relay audio, only video according to manual. So I run my xbox and ps3 audio via fiber optic. I am wanting to sell my ps3 and just purchase a bluray player but I haven't seen any with fiber optic in/out. So now I am trying to figure out how to get digital 5.1 sound with a newer bluray player and my current onkyo reciever. Any help would be appreciated in solving the problem without buying a new reciever.

what do you mean hdmi doesnt support sound only video?

a hdmi cable is more than capable of handling both.

does your onkyo manual say that the receiver will not accept souind via hdmi?

if so... sounds like a pretty crappy model. you should definitely have sound and video on the hdmi inputs.

i've never really looked for a blueray player with optical. i suppose you might be able to find one though if you keep looking.

what are you hoping to gain by getting a blueray player instead of a ps3? i can certainly tell you there isnt going to be a jump in quality. the ps3 does a fine job.

since the ps3 is used you are not likely to get much for it. decent blueray players start at arounjd $100 or more. at most you are going to get an even exchange... but you will still be getting less for the money than you have now with the ps3.