Bon Jovi: Steve Jobs Killed Music Industry

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killbits[/nom]FLAC is CD-quality, yet compressed. No human ear can tell the difference, and it takes about 1/2 the space of an uncompressed CD. I don't think your logic holds up here.[/citation]

Flac is lossless = exactly the same when decompressed (much like zip, rar ect), Mp3 is lossy meaning it basically filters away what your ear hear the least and then gradualy scales off more and more the less bitrate you allow and no matter how much you try to "fix" the loss afterwards it will still be present. So yeah Flac is great but requires abit more space, usually you gain 30-40% space dependning on the dynamics and nature of the music.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Microsoft also has done their fair share. Most people on PCs use Windows. An OS should have better copyright protection. It's very easy to rip an MP3 off of a YouTube video.[/citation]
What in the world... So if I'm a band that recorded a CD I should be prevented by the OS to make a digital copy of it. Also if I bought a CD the OS should also prevent me from making a legal copy of it to play on my mp3 player.
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]MP3s should be just as protected as Windows operating systems themselves to prevent such sharing.[/citation]
Have you ever heard about DRM?
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]That's not exactly the consumer's fault. Someone left a hole wide open.[/citation]
If I have a gun a shoot someone it's not my fault, it's the gun's manufacturer that is to blame.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Never understood the buying of mp3 music.
The quality sucks. All of the highs and lows are gone. A cd compresses the sound already to take out the upper and lower frequencies. Then the conversion to mp3 takes out even more fidelity.
So music on mp3 sounds like a cheap boombox played in mono. Sound wise the mp3 is comparable to an old 8-track tape.
We are going backwards in sound quality not forward.
Any one remember putting sleves or magic markers on the cd edges to increase the low end bass responce of cd's when they first came out?

MrFawlty

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
Er, no. I defy ANYONE to tell the difference between a well-ripped mp3, using LAME at a decent VBR bit-rate, to the original. Yes, technically, there is a difference but the human ear just isn't that sensitive. The problem lies with the equipment people play their mp3s on. From a cheap laptop using the built in sound adaptor, or a cheap mp3 player using rubbish ear-phones, the sound is bad compared to a decent hi-fi system.

I know FLAC is always going to good but the file size is just too big, even with the compression.

Just so you know, I am a hi-fi enthusiast and sound quality is very important to me.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
The old magic of LPs accompanied great records, died forever. But I think this thing came gradually. Who remembers the "Somewhere in Time" cover pages?. Now, you get nothing accompanying the music. And no - there are LPs that neede to be heard from song 1 up to the end. Who would buy the first song of "III Sides on every story"?

Technology killed the tradition on music industry - Jobs was just a guy who accelerated things so as music industry to still make profit out of it..

Lets make a concerted effort to help bring down the music industry by saying no to overpriced CD's / MP3's that contain one or two decent songs at best.

Pick an album made in the last 15 years that is as good as Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" or Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the moon".

No ... i didn't think so.

These days the fat cat's in the industry just pump out rubbish and we buy it.

Vote with your feet and watch / listen to the independents who promote on the net, and buy what you like direct.

The death of the old music indsutry is a good thing ... it is good for us all.

Finally, the "stars" out there today just don't deserve your money ... they didn't write the music and spend weeks in the recording studio to get it right ... and how many of them can play at a concert without lip synching anyway.

Pink would be one of the few ... the rest are like Milly Vanilly ... remember those "musicians" ??

lol.

G

By his logic, Xbox Live, PSN and OnLive are killing the video game industry too.

Sounds like somebody needs to gain a little perspective. The music distribution industry began dying long ago because it simply refused to evolve and embrace technology.

"If you're not fast, you're last."

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I wont but it on Itunes... as much as I hate and never use it...

But in short, you appreciate what you buy.
Any videogames that I paied for, I enjoyed, I finished them.

Any game I downloaded, I tried it and moved on within 30 minutes.

The same applies for music. You just do not appreciate and feel the 1000 songs in your 8gigs mp3 player that were brutally stolen as a discography from the net.

You hit next next next till you find something you know and like, you don't even give a chance to most of the music because you don't care.

There was something magical about buying a record, a cassette or a CD.... but in my logic, the same can be said about buying from Itunes... so if anything Jobs at least put in a system for people to BUY their media so he shouldn't complain about itunes.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Good Call Bon Jovi... I miss those days too, just like I miss Little League and video arcades, etc. but, just like the record exec's now, and the people in the early to mid 1900's that said,"Man, Ford really killed the horse and buggy business didn't they? These kids these days will never know the thrill of smellin' horse sh!t while they take 400 hours to ride into town...and I miss that", it's time to wake up and smell the tulips... it's over bro. you're an old geezer, get over it... fortunately for me, you're much older than me...and you're music is much crappier than mine that I never made...

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Sounds like Jon Bon Jovi has not made good royalty deals with the record labels and wants to blame everyone else. The issue here is not he method of distribution because every indicator shows that more music is being downloaded and older music is more available. The issue has to do with who is between the musician and the method of distribution. I would bet very heavily that the music labels are squeezing the the musicians and this is why they are not able to bank on the new method of delivery.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Er... no Jon Bon Jovi. Jobs didn't do it... he perhaps helped it with itunes.You're living in the era of LPs, tapes and CDs. When listening to an album was a chore (I still have my records - with nothing to play them on). Tapes always sounded like crap compared to an LP.A number of people here got it right.1- Much of todays music is crap.. with only 2~4 good songs per album.2- People/kids cant/dont want to spend $15 per album... when they can get a good amount of songs from 3-4 artist for the same money.3- Times change.... we're not in the 80s or 90s.4- Having a tiny MP3 player in your pocket (or phone) when doing a work out is great. FAR better than a skipping & scratching CD player and a tape-eating cassette player.5- We can fit thousands of songs in a smaller space of a 90m cassette tape. No rewinding, flipping or changing out a disc.If anything - having the ability to BUY exactly what songs we want, allows us to buy from more artist. And that is a GOOD thing.[/citation]

1) Even though 2-4 songs sound good now, in 15-20 years your tastes will change and you may discover that some of those crappy songs are really pretty good. I have a CD thats 25 years old (Dire Striats) and I used to only like 3 songs. Now I listen to the CD start to finish. I bet you will loose all your music when your HD (Hard Drive) gets hit by a virus or dropped. Either way let me know in 25 years how many $1 you lost.

2) A lot of CD sell for $8-$10. Thank you MP3s

3) Yes times changed. MP3s are easier to deal with as a medium, but the quality of the music is inferior to CD, SACD and LP (aka records/vinyl)

4) Your right about that. MP3s are great for carrying every where, but I don't think you can beat the sound of some amazing sound system blasting your favorite song at 122 db and heart pounding bass that shakes every organ in your body.

5) Not everyone wants their music to be portable and give up quality for quantity.

Someone said they don't have a record player to play their records but that is no excuse when there are lots of places to get a record. I bet most people don't know that vinyl or records have better sound quality than SACD and SACD has better sound quality than CD and CD are better than MP3s you get from iTunes (320 kbps). The only thing better than records are blu-ray audio sampled at 96Khz @24bits and higher.

Yeah FLAC is LOSS LESS and it takes more space than a CD. FLAC are usually sampled at 96-192Khz. And SACD and Vinyl can be found pretty easily on amazon. Even more so than SACD. Kid Rock here has both CD and vinyl. http://www.amazon.com/Born-Free-Kid-Rock/dp/B003ZHQVJO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IH6SK6KCDYDMI&colid=24KZEYSPGHQH3

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ttt222[/nom]Downloads make less money, because you don't have to buy every song. [/citation]
And because you, cough, pay, cough, one third of the sum to the brilliant company, that cares about us so much.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
5) Not everyone wants their music to be portable and give up quality for quantity.

Someone said they don't have a record player to play their records but that is no excuse when there are lots of places to get a record. - I meant to say "there are lots of places to get a record player" example :http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=2e66c0cf-065f-442c-812e-1a43f391e599&SubId=&ProductId=8e3a2513-28b5-4541-98c1-2509e794ee06

That's I high end record player but there are cheaper and much more expensive.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
"You just do not appreciate and feel the 1000 songs in your 8gigs mp3 player that were brutally stolen as a discography from the net."

Brutally stolen?? You're a retard!! And if i get a discography its most likely because its an OLDER band that made GREAT music. And is difficult or imposable to find hard copies of!

Tell you what, you prove to me that copying a song causes the original to vanish from the owners hard drive, and I will personally buy you a whole new computer!

Grow up!

G

He is partially right. CD was the last big physical media that a user could hold in its hand. The future is going to USB sticks and FLAC / WAV true 24 bits/192 khz.
What they could really do to turn records sale, is the reviving of vinyl. Really good made 180 g - 200 g ones that are 24 bits/96 recordings. On a lousy CD you get 16 Bits on 44 khz.
You could get more out of a vinyl and you could get true studio quality from the WAV's 24/192.
Why aren't they moving to Blue ray media with stunning studio quality? Why are they holding to CD, in this time and era??? It is as simple as stupidity and blindness of the big record studios...

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i think, that iTunes helped more talented musicians to get known... thru iTunes you can not pump thru just big record labels, but the small artists have more chance to get thru...

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Bon Jovi's lead singer blames Steve Jobs and iTunes for killing the music business."
I didn't know it was dead. Infact I listen to music all the time. It's technology that is the killer of your... profits!

"Gone are the days of dumping over ten bucks on a disc that features only one good song. Gone are the days when scratched CDs skipped or, if you're from the 80s or 90s, the cassette player eats up your favorite Bon Jovi tape."
Yeah, why should we be forced to pay 10 bucks for a CD with only 1 good song? On the other hand I DO buy whole albums (depending on the artist though). So basically, only your biggest fans will buy the whole album. The other people are more likely to buy just that one song they like.

I hated scratched CDs that skipped. or a portable in car CD player that skipped everytime you hit a little bump. (I'll never miss that. I think it's part of the reason the music industry has gone the route that it has.) Today I can drop my MP3 player and it won't skip a single beat! : )

I only had a cassette tape get eaten once or twice but I hated them because of the low quality of the audio. Especially after CD's came out I abandoned tapes REAL quick.

I say good riddance to the old way. MP3's are the way to go because it's a digital recording, meaning you can make it as high quality and clear as you want. It cannot skip and if you only like 1 song from an artist you don't have to pay $10 for the whole album.

Actually, the real downfall was the invention of a high quality audio compression format... (MP3) Although it was bound ot happen because if MP3 was never created a different audio compression format would have done the same thing in it's place. Add that plus more and more devices that will play MP3s and you see the decline physical CD's.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
It makes me sick when reading what he said... "not knowing what the album sounds like" f him. I felt the same about Prince... I don't hear 50 cent, eminem, rihanna and many, many others who are making millions complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.