Bose AE2 with Sound Blaster Z

blueM16000

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
I have both Bose Around Ear 2, with the Sound Blaster Z from Creative.
I want to know what can be the best setup (equalizer settings and others) for the Bose headphones.
I do feel the definite difference from my motherboard on board sound, which was ALC887, but some people tell me that I wasted my money for almost no improvements. Am I strange that I feel those differences or are those people wrong?

Thanks in advance.

As the happy owner of an Asus Xonar Essence STX, I think that those people are wrong. My answer to this question is always that it depends on the individual. Some of us are happy with base-level sound and can't tell the difference, some of us can tell the difference and fiddle around until we find what we like, and some unfortunate few can tell the difference and prefer lossy compressed MP3 files run through a consumer-grade DAC.

As to the best setup, it will depend on your ears and what you like to listen to. It's very personal. If you have good equipment, start with flat EQ and listen for a while (I do 2 days at a time). Then try some of the EQ presets. If they seem to be any good, twiddle with the details. Me, I stay flat.

blueM16000

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014

Thank you for your suggestion. I will start with flat. I feel like the bass of sound blasters are quite strong with the flat option, so I might adjust the treble to be stronger. It is really difficult to find my own taste that suits my ear.

Thanks again for your fast response.

Yaaah! I was playing with my setup and listening to an old favorite, Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano. I can even play the easiest part on the flute.

So I took my own advice and tried some of the presets. "Classic" took it out of a cloth bag and made it sound better. Utter surprise.