Brand new Asus laptop - not loading to windows!! Please help!!!!!

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
So i just bought a new laptop and its a Asus r150j. If you search my last thread i created you will find the exact buyer on Amazon i got it from with a link.

It isnt working!!!!!!! So far all i have done if is plug it in and a screen with the following appears.

"Freedos kernel version 1.1 35w (build 2035w unstable , nov 30 2005.

Copyright 1995-2005 Pasquale villain and the freedos project. No warranty. Licenced under the gnu general public licence version 2.

C:hd1, PRI( 1), chs = 0-32-33, start = 1mb, size = 13312 mb
D:hd1, PRI( 2), chs = 1698-0-1, start. = 13319mb, size=940547 mb

C:/>......

Please help this is a brand new laptop and meant to be using windows 10, right now all it is letting me do is type code where it says c:/> at the bottom.

Please help!! Im not a total computer novice but i have never ever seen anything like this before and I stay away from code....

Many thanks in advance!!!!

PS. Sorry i am having to type this on a phone!

Ps. It does seem i am able to access the BIOS(i think it is the BIOS) by pressing f2 before the screen mentioned loads up.

Solution
on the new laptop when you boot with the windows installer go to comand prompt use diskpart command clean all to clean the laptop drive make sure you select the right hard drive this will remove all os from the laptop. if not windows cant install it boot loader onto the boot sector of the hard drive.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

It just has a random os on it. You'll have to install windows 10 yourself. Just take a random usb stick of 8 gb or more make it empty got to the ms site download the windows 10 installer run it click on make bootable usb stick let it make your usb stick bootable boot from the usb stick on your laptop install the laptops drivers and your done.

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
So nothing is broken.???

It should have windows 10 on it, shouldnt it?

Please can you link me to the exact page i can download this ms windows 10 installer on? Many thanks!!! You are awesome :)

Is this freedos thing, an operating system them? I get a USB, install this ms installer of 8gb and then boot from USB and it will do everything for me?

:) :)

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Here's the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
Just press upgrade now and you'll get the installer.
After that is done and boot the usb it will ask you to agree with installing and ask you what to do. Just choose the clean install (not the upgrade) and then when choosing the partition delete them all and create 1 new one. After that it will install reboot and ask you to creat an account ( you don't need an microsoft account just disconnect from the internet and it will give you the otion to create a local account imediatly or you click the blue text below to creat a local account).

Freedos is basically jus MsDos from way back in the day but made to run on more modern systems. The seller might have just had that on there and sold the laptop with it.

1. before you go crazy make sure there a windows 10 cd or restore cd and windows 10 key to register the laptop. it may be on the bottom or in the battery tray if not. if you dont have those then the laptop may be stolen. if the owners was smart he would have spent 30.00 for a new windows restore disk for the laptop. would have restore the unit and left the default admin name blank or would emailed you and ask you how you wanted windows registered to you.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
if you have windows 7/10 disk this tool make the bootable usb stick without downloading 4g file.

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015

I am using a windows 8 computer to download this, if i click upgrade now and run it, wont it upgrade this computer? I would be killed if that happens

the file i downloaded from upgrade now is 5.5mb, exe file.
the file i downloaded from Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO? is 17.6mb exe file

click on make a bootable usb stick. you need a 8g stick plugged into your pc. make sure it empty as the installer will wipe all data off of it. it format and install the image 4g in size to the usb stick. dont click on update my pc or your pc will go from windows 8 to windows 10.

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
so external hard drive's wont work.

i seem to only have a usb, but it has kingston data traveller locker encryption password on it, will this work, or because i need to enter a password to use it, it wouldnt let me boot from this usb?

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
all laptops have a boot from usb option right?

just had a very quick check on the bios and i don't see any "boot from usb first" option. will it only appear when a usb is connected.?

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Yes the device will appear in the bootlist once connected.

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-8-from-external-hard-drive/

i am following this right now, almost downloaded the iso file

it will recognize the external hardd drive right? in my new laptop.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

That should work.

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
Im excited, never had such a good laptop, i really hope this works! did you check my old thread as mentioned in my first post?

right now 35% extracted iso to e:/ after formatting external hard drive

going to do the command prompts after and code, then hopefully plug into my laptop, boot from external hard driver and it will be done!!!

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
i dont see any option to boot from usb or external harddrive..........

when it boots now, it has added E:/ to what i posted in my original post. along with changing what it says at D:

""Freedos kernel version 1.1 35w (build 2035w unstable , nov 30 2005.
Kernel compability 7.10 - watcomc - fat 32 support.

Copyright 1995-2005 Pasquale villain and the freedos project. No warranty. Licenced under the gnu general public licence version 2.

C:hd1, PRI( 1), chs = 0-32-33, start = 1mb, size = 13312 mb
D:hd2, PRI( 1), chs = 0-1-1, start. = 0mb, size= 19077 MB
E:hd1, pri (2), chs = 1698-0-1, start = 13319mb, size = 940547 mb

C:/>......""

seraphim22

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
had to get a activation key. seems to be working, had to format my main hard drive as ntfs(or whatever it is, you know what i mean), now it says installing windows and it is getting files ready for installation (7%) at the moment. ill keep you updated.