Brand New Laptop Running Incredibly Slow

Your_Buddy_Aether

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
I got an ASUS VivoBook E403SA-us21 for college. I unboxed it at college, and at first startup the computer ran incredibly slowly. Browsing the internet was almost impossible. Everything I do in a browser lags.

I purchased the model after reading lots of reviews like this one saying that it has decent performance for a cheap price. Is there something wrong? How would I fix it? (I know it's not the college wifi itself, which was in the red/hot zone on speedtest.net)

I would really appreciate any advice

ebm9000

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Open task manager, and look at the CPU and RAM usage. Is there something that's hogging it up? I understand it's a Pentium, but that shouldn't hold it back on basic tasks like browsing online.

Your_Buddy_Aether

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Yeah task manager is normal. I tried changing the power plan useage from 5% to 75% minimum processor useage but no dice.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

What about disk usage?

Your_Buddy_Aether

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Roughly 20% CPU, 45% memory, at most 20% of disk. Actually, my disk usage is at 0% a lot, that can't be good right?

Network is at 0% as well.

Feb 18, 2018
Well, its a two year old post and the auther might have changed the laptop in this duration, but I think its worth mentioning my opinion. I got an Asus laptop yesterday and it is also running very slow. It is so dead slow that I can't even open chrome. I noticed there were lots of bloatware which were hogging the RAM and Disk usage. While it might be a normal thing for 4GB RAM on Windows 10, the bottleneck is on Disk Speed. Its 5400 RPM 1 TB disk which jumps to 100% IO utilization when any program is opened. Basically it struggles when cumulative utilization is more than 30MBPS. I can't believe they are still installing such legacy drives in laptops.

Luckily I have an empty m2 ssd slot so I will be upgrading the RAM and add an SSD into it which should solve the issue.

rgd1101

Don't

slow rpm drive is safer for laptop, and much cheaper then ssd drive.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
W10 just basically murders platter drives on boot. Too much background junk starting up. Eventually it will cache/prefetch it all so it starts up faster until a boot is interrupted or a complete restart (like after Windows updates) is forced.